Ovarian Cancer Community
Insurance Application on hold pending outcome of Complex Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

So my health insurance company has decided to "review" my application before they approve an annual renewal.  I have a complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary.  They asked me if it was benign, I said, "I don't know.  It is likely that it will be."  The nurse from the insurance company said, "Well, the underwriters don't want to approve your application until they are sure of the outcome."  I'm so frustrated!  They definitely took my monthly payment, but will not renew my insurance which expires Sunday!  With how much we pay insurance companies these days when they don't even cover everything, I find this very ridiculous and unsettling!  Has anyone else experienced this?
How long did you have the policy for? Was there any break in coverage at any point? The only thing I can think of is that they are looking for a pre-existing condition. I don't think they can not renew coverage for any other reason UNLESS there was a break in coverage. I would look in your policy handbook & look for a section that states something about "renewal" & see what it says.
How about this, can you get another policy Monday with another insurance carrier? The reason I say this is that if you go with another insurance and there IS NOT A BREAK IN COVERAGE, you shouldn't be subject to the new insurance carriers pre-existing clause. It's called "proof of credible coverage". I'm not sure if it's a federal law for all 50 states, but it is for most of them.
If you are in the states, that sounds illegal.  It wouldn't be a pre-existing condition if you were covered the whole time the cyst appeared, now not to renew you because you might actually need the coverage you've been paying for?  I seriously would talk to an attorney, just to find out your rights (not to sue), someone who really knows.  I may be wrong, but that sounds illegal to me.   Good luck!
Hello all, I am a long time lurker of this site.  I work in insurance.  The fact that they are trying to kick you out during an "annual renewal" is bogus and likely illegal.  Talk to your state attorney general's office to find out exactly what is and is not legal in your state.  Also- call the company and get a copy of the policy.  The AG's office will need one as well.

You will need to call the current company and any potential new ones on how they treat this type of situation.  You should be covered by a new company if there is no lapse of coverage.  It is unlikely that they would take you on knowing that you might need surgery.  Unfortunately pre-exisiting conditions (such as your cyst) very possibly wouldn't be covered by the new company because they want the old one to pay for it, as it was discoved while you were covered by someone else.  

When you call any insurance company write down the name of who you talked too, the date and time as well as a discription of the conversation.