Is shingles possible side affect?
My Mom just started her  treatments carbo/taxotere last week for her recurrence.  She's still dealing with the side affects which are worse then her original treatment last year.  Yesterday she saw her gyn/oncl because she had a sore and white throat and she also showed him some itching shes had on her back for several days and  he said  they were shingles.  I dont understand how.   I always thought shingles  was serious and attacks nervous system with symptoms, that she doesnt have.  Her doc  said  it could be side affect from chemo.  Is it possible to have shingles as a side  affect from chemo?  Shes always  had a rash from chemo but not like this.
thanks
chemo lowers the immune system.  shingles comes from the chicken pox virus which lays dormant until your immune system is compromised.  I was just diagnosed with shingles (after a two year battle with outbreaks).  my doctor prescribled valtrex.  i'm so frustrated because in nov 06 they biopsied - and called it intraepidermal spongiotic/vesicular dermatitis with eosinophils.
when the immune system is compromized  shingles can pop up easily, we carry the chickenpox virus in our systems, the white throat might be Thrush, comman side affect of chemo, there is a good pill for that, takes care of it quickly.  There are shots also for shingles but when on chemo you better ask if she can have it.