Ovarian Cancer Community
Just curious about bruising

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Just curious about bruising

Just curious how many of you had severe bruising on your abdomens after laparoscopies?

Linda J
I had to think back but I do not remember having alot of bruising.  Erika

Yes, I did. I had a huge hematoma on one side of the incision. It hurt like the dickens (it actually hurt MORE than the incision itself), and my tummy was blue, yellow, green, and purple. It's ugly and painful, but it will go away. Mine took about three weeks to absorb.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Hmm...I didn't have a hematoma, I just had bruises everywhere on my abdomen. I am really thinking my gyne did a terrible job. I am trying to account in my mind for the bruising and how I got the adhesions they think I now have.

Linda J
That may be!  I can't say as I always bruise so never questioned the surgery itself, especially since I have been so fortunate never to have a bad complication.  OK, so springing a leak an hour before I was suppose to go home that necessitated surgery the day after surgery kinda stunk in the complications category, but overall I feel fortunate, bruises and all.  Have a great weekend!!!!  MV
Hi Mary, yes it was alarming. The bruising went away. But, it still leads me to believe she (lady gyne) did a bad job. I had another lap done previously and had no bruising and no pains afterwards. I think a lot depends on the surgeon.

Linda J
Hi Linda,
     I have had one laproscopy and three laoarotomies.  I bruise easily to begin with and the last one was a doozy!  Thing is, bruises go away as mine did and I was fine.  It is alarming when you see it the first time though isn't it!!!!  Mary V
I just had a lap surgery on friday and the bruising is HORRIBLE!!!  I also developed a hematoma and it sticks way out (the bump) its gross and i fear it will never go away!  And the bruising i have is on my back!  It is terrible and black and gross....one of my sisters actually gag at the site....i was actually worried and called my doctor.  Before going in for this surgery my doctor told me i would be able to take care of my 2 year old daughter, i know every case is different, but oh my gosh it is a week later and i finally can get up and atleast walk around today....TAKE IT EASY!   thats all i can say   Its hard to say to me when i have a 2 year old.....but thats the best advice i can give?