Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Juvenile Granulosa Cell Tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Juvenile Granulosa Cell Tumor

I had a total Hysterectomy to remove a granulosa cell tumor  in Feb 2005. The  granulosa cell tumor was on my left ovary and the right had a cyst.The doctors  could not even tell me what I had. They had it sent to Harvard, and finally told me soemthing at my 6 week checkup. I was told I was lucky and that I should not have anything to worry about. I start having blood work (inhibin) every 3 months for the first year and then every 6 months therefore after. I just went back for my checkup and was informed that my Inhibin level was high. Well was that a true statement, should I be worried?  I'm not sure I want to go through mulitable surgery. I'm wondering what chance do I have that the Granulosa cell tumor has returned, and if so will I need chemo?  Thanks for your help.......
Hi There,

Here is a nice site on granulosa cell tumors:  http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC928.HTM

juvenile granulosa cell tumors are little different looking under the microscope. I have pasted a famous medical article on it below.  I think for you: I would suggest a repeat inhibin and also an estrogen level. It may be that the inhibin level correlates with the presence of the tumor. However, it is important to get a CT scan for a good evaluation of your chest, abdomen, and pelvic. It is also possible that something unrelated is causing an elevation. Please let us know what happens
best wishes

Am J Surg Pathol. 1984 Aug;8(8):575-96.
Juvenile granulosa cell tumor of the ovary. A clinicopathological analysis of 125 cases.Young RH, Dickersin GR, Scully RE.
The clinical and pathological features of 125 juvenile granulosa cell tumors of the ovary were analyzed. The patients ranged in age from newborn to 67 years (average 13 years). Forty-four percent were 10 years of age or younger, 34% between 11 and 20 years, 18% between 21 and 30 years, and 3% over 30 years of age. Eighty-two percent of the prepubertal patients presented because of isosexual pseudoprecocity. In the remainder of the children and in most of the older patients, the presenting manifestation was usually abdominal pain or swelling. Fifteen patients in the reproductive age group had menstrual irregularities or amenorrhea, and one of the two postmenopausal women presented with uterine bleeding. Two patients had Ollier's disease and two had Maffucci's syndrome. Laparotomy revealed unilateral involvement in 122 cases and involvement of both ovaries in two cases; bilateral tumors were found at autopsy in one case. Two tumors were Stage IIb and one Stage IIc; the remainder were Stage I. In 13 cases (11%), rupture had occurred before or during operation and ascites was present in 11 cases (9%). The tumors ranged from 3 to 32 cm in diameter (average 12.5 cm). Forty-nine percent of them were solid and cystic, 37% solid, and 14% cystic. Follow-up information of at least 1 year's and up to 21 years' (average 5 years') duration was available for 95 patients, 87 of whom (92%) were alive and free of disease. One patient with Maffucci's syndrome died of chondrosarcoma 11 years after removal of the ovarian tumor (corrected survival--93%). The seven remaining patients died as a result of their tumor from 7 months to 3 years postoperatively; one of the clinically malignant tumors was Stage Iai, one Stage Iaii, two Stage Ic, two Stage IIb, and one Stage IIc.