Ovarian Cancer Community
Kefier probiotic smoothie

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Kefier probiotic smoothie

Hi everyone...well first some news, my mom had her first (can you believe it) outpatient chemotherapy treatment (yes, 6 were all done inpatient).  Anyways an old friend of mine works at the hospital she goes to for chemo and also works in the cancer center.  

After talking about my mom's digestive problems (that has been going on for months now and how I've been giving her digestive enzymes and probiotics), she mentioned something called "Kefir" (avaliable at Whole Foods, etc.) which is a probiotic smoothie.  She recommends it to all her chemo patients and they swear by it.

I got it tonight and they have many flavors and it is loaded with like 10 probiotics.  Not endorsing this one yet because we just got it, but here is the website:  http://lifeway.net/
oh and here is their research page:
http://www.lifeway.net/research.php

One thing I like it is BGH (Bovine Growth Hormone) free...which I believe leads (or helps in some way) to many 'horomone' related cancers such as ovca.
If there was a medal for " researcher extraordinaire" I would personally vote for you.  You are indeed a son that any mother would be proud to call her own.  Bet I made you blush.  
Blushing! LOL thanks :)  I've been researching every day for six months now on every single avenue to take...found alot, but of course no idea if any will really work or not.  I feel a few have promise (such as Maitake D-Fraction, DIM, etc) though.  When I get time, I'm still going to create an Ovarian Cancer research site for the rest of us along with a nice community interaction feature (I used to design websites professionally for a 1.5 million member organization).  Stay tuned!~

We need you!  Your knowledge is so wonderful. I can't recall.  What digestive symptons is your mom having that this was recommended?  How is she handling the chemo?
I do love the way you are helping your mother and us as well!

Those probiotics and digestive enzymes are good. Chemo recks your intestines. That kefir is good and also tastes good. I am on the "no dairy" kick but once in awhile do have that. I have a friend that has ovarian that lives near me and her intestines are a mess from chemo. She told me about "pearls."  She has tried so many things and now has luck with pearls. They have a system where they are released in the small intestine duodem (sp?)and not in the stomach. They are very small and work well with her. All the other things, even yogurt cause so much abdominal gas.
Hi there,
I was just trying to do some research for my mom. She was tested last week, and they think it might be ovaraian "c" word. She will have a staging surgery next week. We are obviously praying that it turns out to be something else. In the meantime, I read a story that said that research in 2004 linked dairy consumption to ovca. So, I immediately called my mom and said, throw away the cheese and stop the dairy. She said, "Even the kefir?" Now, my mom loves kefir, and it is one of the few complete proteins that she is able to digest right now with her symptoms. So, did your research yield anything on this? By the way, how is your mother's chemo going?
Funny you would mention this, cause 3 weeks ago I ran into this word Kefir and did some research and placed an order for some starter to use to make my own yogurt!!! Thanks again for reconfirming that I am on the right track.
Hi Kefir is different than regular milk because it is fermented and yields many probiotics.  Regular milk is, yuck, full of junk and not good.  If possible get organic Kefir.  They have some research on their website: http://www.kefir.com/

But, then again, I can't say one way or another if you should stay away or not.