Ovarian Cancer Community
Laparoscopy - small lower left incision a bit red and inflamed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am three weeks post-op tomorrow and all of a sudden the lower left incision is looking a bit red and inflamed. I put some neosporin on it and covered it for now and will have our nurse friend look at today, however I am far from my surgeon at this time. I can go to an urgent care if things get worse. I'm already on an antibiotic for sinusitis and I think this is related to the dissolvable stitches. Anyone else have this issue?
You should get that checked out ASAP. I had my incision get infected as well and I waited 3 days before going to the ER I could barely walk. If it is red, tender, inflammed, hot to the touch, and or fever please get checked out before the pain gets too severe. Amber
I just had my SIL (nurse) check it out and she said it looks more irritated but to watch it. I'll see how it goes. I'm on Amoxillin already so if it continues to get worse, it's resistant.
I wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did. But I am glad that you talked to the nurse before anything did get infected.
Thanks everyone! I thought about that, being so far post-op. What it looks like to me is a stitch pushing through the skin,  Wubbie, you're right!  That happened on the other side and the stitch did push through. The incision is about 1/4" long and the knotted area is only the size of a pinhead. I've had a bandaid and bacitracin on it all day per Sharon's advice and it's looking much better. My husband and I have been really enjoying these tied tubes so it's entirely possible it's, um, part of the reason since the incision on that side is on my hip bone.

I wish I could have you all at the beach right now with me - it's so enjoyable here! If y'all ever get a chance to come up to Cape Cod, you've got a place to stay!

Linda
Hi Linda, my husband is a physician and so I get some good info from him.  I'm in the same situation, but what makes yours sound differently is that you are so many weeks post-op, a wound infection is a bit less likely but can certainly occur.  You do want to jump on it early if it is an infection, but you can wait and see what it does today too.  You are sharp and on the ball, so I sense you'll know what to do if things aren't looking right.  In general, an infection should get worse if untreated, so watch for the redness to spread, get more sore, change, or for a fever to occur.  
I'm glad you are doing better in general, and all worked out for you.  Take good care of yourself.
Linda~
One of mine did the same thing; got red, a little sore, slightly raised. Thought possible irritation/infection, waited two days, and found one side was distinctly more raised than the other. Turned out to be a stitch pushing it's way through the skin. I couldn't tell until I found what I thought was a bit of peeling skin, and it wouldn't move :)
Hang in there, and keep an eye on it!
~Marianne

I can feel the stampede already and I'm 4,000 miles away!

I removed two stitches on Sunday that were irritating me like mad and I had immediate relief. I mentioned this to the gyn/onc yesterday and she remarked that she always tells the registrars not to use those stitches and that I'd done the right thing.

Don't overdo it girl!!  Well actually I'm just jealous !!!!

xx