Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Large fibroid concern

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Large fibroid concern

I'm 36 years old female with the history of breast cancer.I've had a large uterine fibroid for several years. In the last 11 months it grew 3.5 cm (it's at 10 cm now). The CT/PET scan shows large non-homogeneous, exophytic uterine mass  which is densely enchancing and demonstrates increased PET uptake. I was planning to have the fibroid removed anyway. Should I now be concerned and go for the historectomy? I'd love to have more kids so if the historectomy is not necessary I'd prefer not to save my uterus. Also, I'm thiking that I should not be feeling good if I had a tumor in such a large size. Bevides this finding my CT/PET is clean. I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks a lot,
innakap
Hello Innakap,

I believe that it is common for fibroids to be PET positive. If you want more kids, then you should just undergo a myomectomy. I there is any malignant change in the fibroid on final pathologic report, then it will be important to have a second surgery to remove the whole uterus and  both ovaries and fallopian tubes. Malignancies of the fibroid which are called sarcomas are very rare. If you have been on tamoxifen, that is the most likely reason for the growth in your fibroid.
best wishes to you!