Ovarian Cancer Community
Left Complex Ovarian Cyst - Pain on Right Side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Greetings,
I was diagnosed last week with a Complex Cyst on my left ovary.  I went to my Doctor due to extreme pain on the right side.  General period like cramps and back pain.  I have also had stomach upset, and nausea.  When they did the ultra sound they seemed confused since my pain was on the opposite side of the Cyst.  I had blood work CA-125, stool samples and urine samples examined all came back fine and free of infection.   They have not given me the measurements but the ultrasound tech said the cyst was rather large.  I go for a CAT scan on Monday.  I'm very concerned since both my Mother and Maternal Grandmother had Ovarian Cancer.  My Grandmother passed within months of diagnosis, my mother was newly diagnosed yet passed from complications of juvenile diabetes.

Is the pain on the opposite side normal?  What else could by symptoms mean? And, what can be done whether it's a Cyst or something more to eliviate the constant pain?  My Doctor has not even spoken to me since the office visit I've only recieved phone calls for referrals from his office.  
I'm not sure about most of the stuff... but I think it's normal for the pain to be on the opposite side. I went to the doctor with back pain that I had had for a long time. He thought I had kidney stones in my left kidney because that's where all my pain is.  Well, it ended up that I had a large mass on my right ovary instead... Didn't have much pain there... and when I did, didn't think of it much because my lower left back hurt so bad.  So, I believe it's a common thing.  Your body plays odd tricks on you.  Think the best!  Keep us posted.

Take care,
Nikki
Thanks for the info. I thought I was losing my marbles.  I go tomorrow for the CT Scan, hopefully that will reveal what's really going on.  All I know is my back is killing me and I feel like I have a period that never goes away.  I've lost about 5 pounds this week from different stomach issues.  I just want to feel good again.  ARRRGGGHHH!  Sorry, I needed to vent.
I had something very similar happen to me. I was diagnosed with a complex mass on my right ovary, but was having rather severe pains on my left side about a month later. An ultrasound showed a large mass on my right ovary. Went in for surgery this Friday and instead of having one large mass, I had two. One on each side. I think the pains came from the other mass growing on the other ovary. And it felt like I was having severe menstrual cramps, in my side and back. Did the ultrasound technician check the other side as well. What appeared to be one large mass on one side, with two lobes, was really bilateral cysts. It's worth looking into.
I was diagnosed with a 4 cm complex mass on my right ovary back in dec last year. Other than lower back pain and now loose daily bowel movements which I have not had since I was 6 due to arsenic poisioning ( I accidently ate snail poisoning cos I was huingry and it tasted good, Before this symptom I had to use laxatives and suppositories to have a bowl movement daily or every other day.).\

Now over 7 months later due to an isurance snafu, i finally get to gofor my follow=up ultrasound, which took over an hour.  She clicked so much more than the first tech....  I asked her if her was still there and she tolsd me she was not allowed to say but told me to call me Dr for an appt to see in 3 to 5 days.  Needless to say I am concerned.  My mom died of BC, and there is a history of OC and BC on my family.  
Thing is, other than the loose bowels and I also have a heavy whiteish discharge that soaksa mini pad a day, I have no reason to be concerned... BUt I am moving to Norht Dakota so I will lose my CA medical insurance and suffer the lose of my good doctor and  any other time if it is stillthere and different in a worse way, so I am concerned.

I also have enlarged lumpnodes in my head and neck for over 6 months as well as daily nausea, unexplained weight gain and extreme tiredness.

any thoughts?