Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Left Sided Ovary Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Left Sided Ovary Pain

I know that this may be premature, but I am concerned and looking for any answers.  I am 40 years old (non smoking), tubal ligation in January 2005, HPV (LEEP procedure done in 2002 with no further abnormal paps), have been told that my uterus is the size of one that is 8 weeks pregnant, and am having the following symptoms for the last 4 months:  1)A lot of pain(similar to that of contractions) located around the left ovary on the first (sometimes even second) day of period. 2) Cycles are normal 24-26 days apart no heavier or lighter than usual.  3)Usually no pain throughout the rest of the month.  4)no fever    The following symptoms have occurred just this month with the beginning of my period:  1)same left ovary pain (pain is transitional - when I lay down it goes away - I have no problems sleeping)  2)lack of appetite 3)pain has become a constant dull ache (sometimes barely noticeable) 4)constipation  5)gas, bloating 6)tiredness (not fatigue) 7)some lower back discomfort (more like tight muscles).
I have a doctor's appt set up for this week and am hoping  he/she will do an ultrasound, but until them I have read too much online to be comfortable about what they may find.  So my question is...based on these symptoms am I looking at an ovarian cyst, scar tissue, or even worse ovarian cancer?
Hi there,
Of course you are worried about your symptoms. I am glad you have an appointment in the near future. Absolutely, the right thing to do in addition to a physical examination, evaluation for a bladder infection, evaluation for a cervical or uterine infection, rectal examination, check for blood in the stool, and pap smear - is to get a pelvic ultrasound. With your history of the LEEP, it is possible that you have developed scar tissue causing narrowing of the cervical canal. that is called cervical stenosis. That can lead to a back up of your menstrual blood and crampy pain. Ask your doctor about that when you are being examined. It really is not possible to guess as to a diagnosis until you have had your examination
best wishes
hi ,i'm 41 years old and if anyone would know about ovarian pain it would have to be me unfortunately.I have been getting cysts on my left ovary since I was 17 years old , mine were called ovarian cysts and they can range in size greatly , my largest one was the size of a lemon and the pain was un bearable but none of them became twisted or required surgery. Through the years for me they became so predictable that I stopped even going to my obgyn when I got them because unless they became twisted  then there was nothing the dr.'s could do except prescribe pain med. which would only take the edge off ,but I can tell you that mine  would come on during ovulation then it would start to wither away just before I got my period , then when I was about 25 years old I started having pain almost all month long especially at the end of my periods, this was 2 years after having my first child,my dr. decided to do  laproscopy surgery to see what was going on and discovered that I had endometreosis on my left ovary and else where but the worst part was that I had a large band the size of my dr.'s hand of scar tissue connecting my ovary to my pelvic wall , so the doc. removed it all with laser and sent me home with not much hope of becoming pregnant ever again  ,all my pain stopped for a few months after my operation then the ovarian cyst started back up, it was just something I learned to deal with ,then ( i should mention that i have never been on birth control pills.)in the 5th year after my surgery i became pregnant again much to every one's amazement,but after the birth my cysts kept comming at least 9 months out of the year , since my last child I have gone on to have 2 more and I finally quit getting cysts after my last born child who is now 3 yrs. old until yesterday when that old familar pain started setting in , you are wise to be consulting a doctor ,but try not to go in this all worried and assume the worst; heck with all the cysts and pain that i've had in the same ovary over the past 20 something years i would have figured that my ovary would have been totally destroyed by now but by the grace of God it still keeps functioning. so hang in there and remember that theere are so many things that could be causing your pain and the majority of them are veery treatable.
A related discussion, Left Ovary Pain was started.
A related discussion, ovarian pain - I think was started.
A related discussion, Pain On Left Ovary was started.
A related discussion, ovary pain was started.