Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Left ovary attached to bowel

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Left ovary attached to bowel

Hi, I just had surgery on Thursday April 1st to have my ovaries and a 5cm endometrioma cyst removed.  My doctor had great difficulty removing my right ovary and cyst as it was totally attached to my side wall.  Unfortunately, she was unable to remove all of the ovary and said that there is still some of the right ovary remaining as it was to close to the kidney and bladder tubes and didn't want to chance doing any damage.
As for my left ovary, she was completely unsuccessful, she couldn't even see my left ovary because it is attached to my bowel with scar tissue and my bowel is attached to my side wall, she said everything is all stuck together.  She said it would be to risky and dangerous to try and remove it.  My concern is that no one can see my left ovary, not through ultrasound and not through surgery.  I need to know if my left ovary is healthy....no one knows if there are cyst or abnormalities with my left ovary cause no one can access it.  Ovarian cancer runs very high in my family and I really need to know if there is anything that can be done to confirm that the ovary is ok.  Is there any other test that can be done ie. MRI?  I don't see my doctor for follow up till April 20th and I really want to know what all my options are in order to put my mind at ease.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hi There,

What was the pathology on what was removed surgically?

If it was benign , then there is no rush to remove the remainder of your ovaries and tubes.
In terms of assessing the pelvic organs by radiology, pelvic MRI is the most sensitive test.
Checking hormone levels will give information about whether your ovaries are functioning.

In terms of ovarian cancer risk, you should ask you doctor about genetic screening for the BRCA 1/2 gene mutations.If you have a gene mutation, you should see a gynecologic oncologist.
Only about 10 percent of women with ovarian cancer have a gene mutation. If you have a strong family history (which is defined as two or more FIRST degree family members with ovarian cancer), that is another reason to see a gyn oncologist.

Gyn oncologist have the surgical training to go back and remove the remainder of your ovaries.
best wishes