Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Left over Ovarian tissue

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Left over Ovarian tissue

I am 35 years old and have had a total Hysterectomy. I have continued to have cysts form in my pelvic area that have to be removed numerous times  my gyn referrred me to an oncologist gyn. Blood tests show that I still have ovarian function. I currently have two cysts (which are very painful) near my vaginal cuff. My Dr. also says that during an exam he felt an unusual mass that was very tender on the left side of my female parts. I am considering surgery to find the remaining ovarian tissue and have it and the cysyts/mass removed? The Dr. says that it is a very painful surgery with a week long expected hospital stay. I have three children and work full-time. I am wondering if there is any other possible treatments??? What am I to expect?
Hi There,

it is not rare to develop cystic changes to the ovaries after the removal of the uterus. The blood supply to the ovaries is reduced by half when the uterus is removed.

It maybe be worthy of a discussion with your surgeon about the option of complete removal of both your ovaries and going on estrogen replacement surgery.
A gynecologic oncologist is the right kind of surgeon as this kind of surgery may require opening up alot of adhesions. That surgery can be a bit  more complex.

another option would be to try and induce artificial menopause with an agent such as lupron. That is a temporary solution. Most doctors would not continue lupron for more than 6 months as it can cause osteoporosis

it is a tough situation and can be very painful
I am sorry you have to go through that
take care