Long delays--how fast does ovarian cancer grow?
I am 53 yrs old & still pre-menopausal. I had frequent cystitis/yeast infections, etc for several months. My periods had become somewhat irregular--skipping periods & longer periods, which I attributed to impending menopause.I also had a copious clear discharge that lasted several months. I've always had heavy periods. Beginning in August, my periods became more bizarre--frequent, prolonged, and spotting between periods &  strong ovarian cramps in my right ovary almost every day. My only medical coverage is VA. I had 3 appts at the local VA clinic over a month and a half all of which were cancelled due to unavailability of the RN I was assigned to. I was finally told I could call the Women's Clinic at the main VA hospital directly & got an appt near the end of Sept--2 month delay already at that point. Due to my symptoms--including abdominal bloating-- the nurse there (yes--still had not seen a dr!) did pap smear &ordered CA-125 test & other bloodwork scheduled mammogram & transvaginal ultrasound. Va uses reference range of 1-20, so at 24 mine was considered elevated. So,  she scheduled a mammogram and transvaginal ultrasound at an outside hospital, & an appt with an outside gynecologist which delayed everything another 2+ weeks. Pap was normal, was told nothing suspicious on mammogram but that it had to be compared with old films--hard to see due to dense breast tissue. Later was told there was bilateral nodularity, but still had to be compared.TV ultrasound showed thickened endometrium. Gyn dr said the ovaries looked normal to her--something small on right ovary that she thought was an adhesion. She said people with ovarian cancer she's seen always have Ca 125 of 300 or higher which I  know isn't true. She also said there was always weight loss-- another inaccuracy. Tried to do endometrial biopsy in office, but I couldn't tolerate the procedure so she is doing hysteroscopy with D&C and laparascopy. This is not scheduled until Nov 14th -- another month delay. In the meanwhile I received a call from the hospital saying they found a nodule on 1 of my breasts & will do breast ultrasound on the 13th. I am so worried by the amount of time of all the delays. If it's cancer, is it spreading? Growing? If so, how fast? I'm so worried-- I still have a 14 yr old daughter to raise.
I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry until there maybe something for you to worry about. Stressing won't help, especially if it's something that can be easily 'fixed'. I was going back and forth to my Doctor for over 9 months complaining about bloatedness and bowel changes, and was finally told I had Stage 4 Ovarian cancer... that was back in Feb'04 and I'm still doing well. It's a pity that they couldn't get you into having the tests done earlier, to alleviate the anxiety for you. The higher CA.125 could be for other reasons than cancer, so don't get too upset just yet....wait until the tests have been completed and they can tell you exactly what is going on.
Please let us know how you go ..... thinking of you....hugs....Helen...