Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Lupron and ovarian complex cysts!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Lupron and ovarian complex cysts!!

Doctor Goodman,                    33yr old F
  First of all Thank You for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer Q's for me and the others in this forum,,We greatly appreciate it!! I will try to be brief!!
  One year ago I went to the doctor for irregular bleeding( 3mnths)(basically had bleeding or spotting the whole time)They did my 1st US and it showed many follicles,which appeared hyperstimulated. They thought I was on fertility drugs..But I was not. Done having kids,Husband has vesectamy. 2nd US done 3 mnths ltr,showed, uterus 7.8 x 4.5 x 4.6, R ovary 4x4x2.9 complex solid and cystic mass. L ovary5.3 x 2.9 x 3.7 w/what appears hemorrhagic cyst. moderate free pelvic fluid noted..At this point my doc put me on Lupron. Said he wanted to make sure it was my ovaries causing me the pain.(I thought it was a no brainer!!) So went on Lupron for 6 mnths.1/7/07 was done,,had 3rd US on 1/31/07 showed, R ovary 2.9 x 1.3 x 1.5 L ovary 3.4 x 1.9x 2.0cm. Numerous follicles msuring. about 2cm each. Complex cyst on L ovary..IMPRESSION: follicle laden ovaries. Complex L ovarian follicles w/what appears to be 2 indwelling daughter cysts. small amount of bilateral adnexal free fluid is present..
Q"s::1. Was Lupron the right thing to do? 2. Should it be done again? 3.How often should I have US done? 4. Should I worry that my cyst are coming back,and Complex?
Thnk You for your time..Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Hi There
thank you for all the information.

I agree with the trial of lupron. It looks like you had a good response to the lupron. This may suggest that you have endometriosis as a cause of your cysts. Endometriomas also are painful. If you are very symptomatic, your choices include:
surgery with removal of the ovaries lupron with add back estrogen so that you do not get osteoporosis from the lupron a oral contraceptive to suppress the ovaries

I guess, i would lean toward surgery. It sounds like you need to find a new doctor! When you do, you should have a repeat ultrasound as follow up

take care
I also had a Laproscopy done after my 2nd US,Doc said he didn't think they looked "too bad" Pictures show them stretched out(looks like 2 huge marbles inside my ovaries.)He wants to try and avoid taking ovaries out because of my age.Had all my blood work done, including hormones(FSH,LH and etc.) Came back in normal ranges..So He was a little confused.. Thats when he put me on Lupron.. Just wanted to include this info. thank you again..
Hello..I had my appt. yesterday 2/9/07 doctor says,"well all looks normal,you are good to go." I was a little shocked,because the last US I had done 1/31/07 showed complex cysts and several follicles and adnexal fluid. I bring this up to him and asked him about a follow up US and he says,"well,I don't think that is necessary." He then tells me he is retiring. He said that if I want another US,then to get another doctor and have them follow up with that..FEELING A LITTLE UPSET!!!!
  What do you think I should do?..Pain is back in my ovaries,and shooting down my legs..Everything is starting all over again..Please Help me figure this out!!!  Thank you once again...