Ovarian Cancer Community
MRI : Increased T1 and T2 signal intensity ????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Oh I cannot tell you how much comfort, support and education I have gained from this site. I too, am in the process of the dreaded 'watch and wait'... {{{sigh}}}
I have completeted U/S, MRI and CA-125 and my cysts and lesions have actually switched sides. I was wondering if anyone out there has a finding of a lesion with increased T1 & T2 signals?
Can somebody explain this to me in lay terms please? These Dr's rattle on and on and I end up in a daze. I am going on my 6th month of pain, swelling, pressure etc.... you all know the story oh so well.

Blessings, meems ma
You have asked a difficult question, and I wish that some MRI technician would explain this to you.

However, I cannot recall anyone in the field of MRIs posting on this forum, so I will give you my own version of the "Idiot's Guide" to MRI technology!   I am not a doctor.  I am not even a nurse. But I do know, roughly speaking, the very basics of MRI technology, which is that all tissues have a T1 and a T2 value; these values are defined by the way the protons (or was it electrons?) in the tissues respond to the MRI machine signals.  One of these, probably T1, is a measure of the tissues' responses to the signal; the other, probably T2, is the measure of the tissues' relaxation speed after stimulation by the MRI machine.    So, basically, the machine makes a signal, the tissues respond, the device records the response of the tissues to the signal.  At least I think this is how it was explained to me!  I might be wrong!  And be warned that I am leaving out all manner of aspects of this technology!!

Now, here is my guess on your report -  your doctor wants to take a wait and see approach since the increased T1 and T2 signal intensity is interpreted as a cyst leaking fluid and thus resolving itself?    Does this sound anything like what your doctor was telling  you?  Or am I really off base with this one??!!

Will someone in the know please help us with this one!
Well as usual you are right on the money. My doc wants to wait and see this supposed leaking cyst in that it may resolve itself. That is easy for her to say, I have been in fits of misery off and on since June of this year.
The way that you explained the T1 & T2 signals make more sense to me than anything anybody else has said.

So I will play the waiting game one more month and then I just may have to get real pushy.

Thanks for your time and expertise -- Be well
had a light crash on my neck in '07, had a MRI in '08, they refused to give me my medical reports, filed complaint with TMB. I have cysts on C2. had new MRI 3/23/09 prelim says 8mm T2.  T2 hyperintense signals are present from C3 - C6. lived in a rental house when this happened. living in much extreme pain & now I read this. where do I go from here, now that husband has left me.
A related discussion, xanthoma was started.