Ovarian Cancer Community
Mass has a size of a grapefruit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Mass has a size of a grapefruit

Yesterday I did find out that I have a mass in my pelvic area that is really big (as a grapefruit). In the ultrasound they could not see my ovarie, today I did the cat scan and my question is: How accurate is the result of the cat scan? Is necessary to do a biopsy or the cat scan can tell if it's cancer or not? Thanks in advance.
Bump (move up)
A cat scan can not tell if it is cancer. The only way is to have it biopsied.  I'm sure they will want to remove it to test it, especially if it is big.
I had a mass the size of a football. They did a complete hysterectomy (I'm past menopause) and biopsied it. Do you have a gyn/onc? I didn't and wish I had. I was so anxious to get rid of the thing. They really can't tell until it's biopsied. They hoped mine was borderline, but it wasn't, but it was stage 1. My prayers are with you. Ovarian cancer is very rare; there are lots of benign tumors.
Keep in mind that doctors will use the terms mass, tumour and cyst interchangeably.  With the CT scan they can often see what kind of cyst it is but they cannot tell if it is cancerous until they biopsy but over 95% are benign.  With one that size they will want to have it removed.  I had a grapefruit sized cluster of cysts and my right ovary and tube removed a month ago and boy do I feel better.  Do check out the info on cysts on the health pages attached to this forum and do join us on the Ovarian cyst forum.

All the best,
Trudie
hi
one of my cysts used to be grapefruit sized ... its grown three more cm in a month and i am totally miserable until surgery
there is no way with any certainty at all that they can tell if i or u have a cancer until the surgery to remove it or biopsy if thats what u require ... because of its size and composition they are proceeding straight to laparotomy and removing everything (there are a few more factrors involved in that decision) ... during the surgery they are panning to test it for cancer and continue with the operation depending on the outcome ... i was sad to think of losing all of this at my age but that ony lasted 10 minutes ... in actuality i am so excited to get this out, start recovery and become myself again

please try to get with a gyn onc they are best qualified for this kind of procedure regardless if it is cancerous or not ... i have often been told that cysts that are 5cm or larger should be removed

well my point was ... see ur gyn, ask about referral to a gyn onc and at the very least please get this thing removed

i pray u will find peace and comfort in your decisions
best of luck
sharon