Ovarian Cancer Community
Mass on Ovary which is laying on Bowel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Mass on Ovary which is laying on Bowel

Hi I wondered if any one could advise if they have had anything similar.

Last August I started having severe pains in my stomach, which consisted of Diaoreah/wind etc.. the Gp took a sample to rule out bugs, but after about 5 days it stopped, then the symptoms came back again the next month.. the GP suggested it was irritable bowel syndrome and treated me as such Until Jan this year. It came back every month and the GP kept chnging the IBS medication. Then in Mar I had blood in my stools, which lasted for about 2 days, went sraight to GP who sent me straight to hospital where I had tests etc and booked in for colonoscopy. The results were that it was not bowel cancer, but they had notcied a mass on left ovary which was now on my bowel (assuming this is causing the monthly cycle in bowel) I have since had monthly severe bleeding in my stool, and have been booked into have an operation next week. I am so unsure as to what to expect. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sounds like you have a cyst that is sitting on the bowel. Every time you cycle, the cyst grows and presses more on the bowel, probably causing the bleeding from the pressure and strain.
Hopefully they can get that cyst out, and repair everything, so you'll feel much better!
Did they tell you what kind of surgery (laproscopic/laparotomy, etc)? The recovery is different for both... the Laproscopic is the smaller incisions, and recovery time is about a week to be feeling up to doing anything other than being lazy around the house, and the laparotomy is a bigger incision through more muscles, and you're looking at a 6 week or more layup (similar to a C-section)
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Hi my name is Heather and I've been ready alot of the stuff you guys post, and I really think that it is helpful. The end of October 2005 I had severe pain on my left side I could'nt even set down I felt sick to my stomach. I had been taking antibotic (antibiotic) for urinary infection. I thought that I was having a reaction to the meds. I called my doctor that night he said call for appt. tommorow. I went in and saw the nurse practioner, she said lets do a CT scan. It came back that I had a kidney stone on my right side. A month later went by and I still had pain on my left lower pelvic area, so I went back in to the doc and she ordered a CA-125 and a MRI. My CA-125 was normal and all they saw was multible cyst on my left ovary they said I had polly cystic ovaries. So from there on out I had pain that came and went, every time I had sex the next day I felt like I had a urinary tract infection. The felling like I had a urianary tract infection made me going back to the doctors, because it was interupting my sex life. They did a ultrasound and another CA-125 in Jan. 2006 and that all came back in normal range other than my left ovary was slight bigger, but not to be concerned. Now I'm having pain every time my bladder gets full and after a bowel movement, it hurts a little while and then goes away. they check my bladder 2 months ago and that was normal. I had another ultrasound and it also came back normal. My last visit a month ago my Doc told me to get a colonoscopy and try birth control for two months and see if it goes away, if it does not go away then I think we should do a historectomy. A month has gone by my colonoscopy is normal. I made a early appt., because I can't stand it anymore, so tommrow Aug 17 2006 I'm going in to see him again. I what him to do the histrorectomy I've had enough with the pain. What do you think it could be that's going on with me? Thanks Heather
Hi Heather, your CA125 is normal and the ultrasound scan and CT scan don't show any major problems.  So why do you want a hysterectomy done? Your doctors will not do a surgery if they feel it is not necessary.  I think you should get a second opinion from another specialist and if there's no major issues there then may be you could consider some pain management therapy.
Thanks for your comments guys - it really helps a lot! Well I go into hospital on Sunday 20th Operation on Monday. They have given me bowel prep and told me to expect a re-section of the bowel. I am sure he said Laparotamy, but to be honest my head was all over the place and I didn't listen anywhere near as good as I should have. Its just a worrying time. I will keep you all posted when I am out! Michelle :-)
Good luck! i would guess that it is a laperotomy since u may be having bowel resection. We will be thinking of u!