Ovarian Cancer Community
Mom diagnosed with ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Mom diagnosed with ovarian cancer

My mom was just diagnosed with stage 1b ovarian cancer. She had severe sharp pains in her lower abdomen and had an MRI were they found a mass in her ovaries. She had a hysterectomy.they removed her ovaries, fallopians, and uterus. They diagnosed it as ovarian cancer.There was some hematoma in one of her fallopians were they found some malignant cells.but other than that all was clear. They'll still do some more blood tests and cat scans to monitor the rest of her body. But they decided they'll give her 6 doses of chemoth[url=http://gettycredit.com/bunbun/index.jpg]e[/url]rapy. I'd like to hear from anyone in similar circumstances. She's very scared of the chemotherapy. What should she expect? Will she always be vomiting?? When will her hair fall out? Whats the recurrence rate? What's her prognosis? She has an appointment with her oncologist next Sunday but I wanted to hear from people who passed through this before. I want to be there for her every step of the way. Thanks
1 Comment
I am sorry your mom is going through this.  She is lucky to have you.  First you want to make sure you get a full copy of her pathology report so you know exactly what her diagnosis is, that helps to understand everything.  Her oncologist will lay out her treatment plan.  There are alot of meds to help with nausea, etc.  Emend, steroids, Ativan, etc.  Typically she will get a medi-port put in to help with the delivery of chemo (it's very hard on the veins).  Unfortunately, most of the front line drugs do cause your hair to fall out.  My first chemo, my hair fell out, it came back.  It is best to try and write down as many questions as you can.  It is a very overwhelming time, trust me we have all been there.  There are alot of amazing women on this site, and we are all here to help.  I remember my first appointment with my oncologist and the amount of literature they gave me, it was overwhelming that was for sure, but I knew they were ready to handle anything, so I was comfortable.  It's best to take one thing at a time, one day at a time.  You both are stronger than you think.

Jane