Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Mucinous Cystadenoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Mucinous Cystadenoma
Hi Dr.,

I had a large mucinous cystadenoma removed laproscopically at the end of Jan this year.  I had no symptoms
with it - it was found during an u/s for my pregnancy.  Now, 4 months later, I'm having pains in the area of the ovary that had the cyst.  I'm worried that it's grown back.  Does this type of cyst have a tendency to grow back?  Could it have happened so quickly?  Is it possible that the pain is scarring or adhesions?  And finally, am I at an increased risk for a malignancy having had one of these cysts?
Hi There,

if you only had the cyst removed but not the whole ovary, then yes it can come back as it may not have been completely removed.You should get a pelvic ultrasound which will sort this out

(Also please get a copy of your operative note and pathology report for your records)

Adhesions can cause pain.
cystadenomas are not associated with malignancy.
best wishes
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker