Ovarian Cancer Community
Mucinous Stage 3a

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Mucinous Stage 3a

My wife has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3a Ovarian Cancer of Mucinous type. From what I have read there is some evidence that Mucinous type cancers are more resistant to standard Plaitunim (Cisplatin, Carboplatin) treatments. Had the staging been 1c rather than 3a I would be less worried, but as she has some microscopic deposits (on the omentum, which was removed) I am concerned whether these drugs will be effective. It's impossible to know the true extent of these microscopic deposits (they could be in many sites or the ones on the omentum could be the only ones) but even one remaining cell could make her suffer future progression.

Does anyone have knowledge of rates of progression in Stage 3a Mucinous type? Its rare and the studies I have read don't break stage 3 down by histotype and substage..??
I have stage 3B/C mucinous cystadenocarcinoma.  It is known to be more resistant to chemo than the most common ovca.  I had Cisplatin and Taxol I/V & I/P for first line treatment.  I did not get a full remission, but did remain stable for almost a year.  For second line treatment I received the chemo usually used for colon cancers.  Mucinous ovca tends to act more like GI cancer.  I had good results in the rectal/colon lesion, but the tumor near the liver grew.  Do you know the grade of her cancer?  Lower grade seems to have a worse response to chemo.  That is what I have, a grade 1.  Mucinous ovarian tumors are often the result of a cancer in the GI tract spreading to the ovaries.  That is why it is so hard to determine the primary site of such cancers sometimes.  There are reports of full response to platinum based chemo, so don't feel it is not worth a try for first line treatment.  I do feel mine was worth it.  Stable for a year is a blessing to me.  I still am okay, even during this recurrence I enjoy my life.  There is hope and there are many treatments to try and with more research we will see new and more effective treatments someday.  Marie
Marie3B

Many thanks for your reply, sometimes it feels like you are the only ones going through this. I admire your spirit and strength. It gives me great hope for the future.

My wife was given a grade of 2-3 (moderately to poorly differentiated) so this is a great boost in my search for answers - I was unaware that having a higher grade might be of any help.

My wife started last week on Carboplatin and Paclitaxel. She is getting great care and I will always have hope that she will be cured.

Our Gyn/Onc surgeon and specilialists told us that Mucinous could be a secondary extension from the GI. They did thorough tests and had a close look when she had her hysterectomy. They also removed her appendix and looked at that - no signs of disease. Pathology results seem to have confirmed as much as possible that this is a Primary Ovarian CA. The only thing that still bugs me is that I had read that Primary CA typically is unilateral and secondary typically bilateral. My wife had tumours in both ovaries which is an indication of it being secondary (80% of the time)..

Good luck and thanks for the message. Keep trying those treatments and keep up th positive approach.

jr1971