Ovarian Cancer Community
My Surgery Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My Surgery Results

I just wanted to give you guys an update on how my surgery went.

I went in for surgery around 1:30pm (suppose to be 11:30am but he got stuck in surgery) and it all went like I expected. The Dr. didn't really talk to me much. Just came in and asked if I had any questions. I asked what the risks were of it turning into a laparotomy and he said extremely minimal. I also asked when I would find out what was wrong with me and he said he would see me in two weeks to discuss my results and if it was anything serious I would know before I left the hospital. Since I would be so out of it after the surgery he would talk to my Fiance about what went on and if I had any questions I could call him on his pager.

The first thing I did when I woke up was ask anyone involved if they found cancer. They all said no and that I was fine. The Dr. told my fiance everything about the surgery. Unfortunately my fiance only understood about 1/2 of what the Dr was saying to him and all he could tell me was that: I had endometriosis and that my cysts were very large and had been growing for sometime. I also had to have an ovary removed. I asked him what one it was and he said he couldn't remember!

*sighs*

I found out it was the left one. He also said the doctor could see no reason why I couldn't have children in the future either. I had to receive a hormone injection due to the lost ovary and I have to go on this new type of birth control pill that's suppose to help endo.

Sorry this is so short and all over the place but, it feels like a donkey kicked me in the stomach so I can't sit for long periods of time. I just thought I'd let you know how it went and I'll post more when I know more! (I'm calling him Monday.)
Ahh, men - you've gotta love 'em...(hee-hee).  I didn't see your post till now.  I was thinking of you on the 3rd.  I am sooooo glad that everything went well and that it was just endometriosis (which I know isn't great but at least treatable).  I wish you the best of luck,  hope it doesn't come back and hope you can start your family when you're ready!

I was supposed to go for my Lap the day before you but I rescheduled it with a GYN/Onc surgeon.  My new date is Aug. 14th.  I cannot wait till this is over with.  For the moment I am not having any pain after 3 wks straight continuous abdominal cramps and bloating.  

Anyway, let us know when you get the full report.  Take care of yourself and feel better.
Rreba
I have another update!

Apparently I don't have endo. Or maybe I do. I asked my fiance what the doctor said when I wasn't so loopy headed. He said he (my fiance) never said I had endo when I could have sworn he did. I gave up and called the receptionist at my GYN's office and she only said the doctor will discuss the results when I see him again and if it was anything serious I would have known right away.

Also how long does it take these gas pains to go away? They were bad the 2nd day of the surgery and are a lot better now but I still gets bouts of them. My shoulder has been hurting for a few hours when it felt fine for the past 12!
Try GasX, it really worked for me.  I am 10 days post op and the pains are finally gone.  Have your finace massage them for you...hard, almost to the point of pain.  That should get the gas stuck in muscles to break up.  I had to laugh at your story, DH could not remember a thing, except that I was not cancer.  What a ding-****!!!  He came to my follow-up appointment with me and got to see the OR pics of the cysts and endo....EWWWW!!!  But not he feels like he is an expert in Women's Health, LOL!!!  That's OK, I have Ablation scheduled for next week, so at least he knows what is going on now!!  Good luck to you, TAKE IT EASY!!!  I know it is easy to feel better then you actually are.  I got way too active too soon.  I guess pulling weeds in 90 degree heat 48 hours post op is a no-no!!

Glad everything came out with good results!!
I'm so relieved there is no cancer at all! Congratulations that your surgery is over and you are on your way to recovery.  Take care of yourself and expect that the pain will lessen with every day. I had full blown surgery but found that darvacet worked fine with me. I would rather be in pain than be doubled over from heavy painkillers. Everyone is different.  Alan had posted something on chewing gum after surgery. Those intestines have been moved around quite a bit so they have to settle in again. Eat very bland foods, lots of fluids, move around a lot and don't get constipated.

Be patient with the pain and so grateful there's no cancer whatsoever!

Best wishes,
Helen