Ovarian Cancer Community
My mother

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My mother

My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer almost a year ago July 2010, she had 6 chemo treatments followed by a hysterectomy then 2 more chemo treatments.  She also has Rheumatory Arthirits.  Her cancer levels started out last year at 1200 then when she started chemo they continued to drop until her CA 125 was less than 20.  She had a follow-up appointment about 3 weeks ago with the oncologist and her CA125 level was 361 which really scared me however her doctor told her not to worry because the arthritis was probably causing the spike and just to wait a few months and they would re-test the CA125 and do a CT scan.  About a week after her doctor's appt she lost her appetite, became very weak and lothargic.  I was very worried so made her another appointment with the oncologist and when he tested her CA125 it is now 885 (it spiked this much in 3 weeks) and she is very sick.  They moved up for CT scan for this week and we will know more then. I am extremely worried due to the weakness and loss of appetite and I'm afraid her doctor is not concerned enough about her CA125 levels enough because of the arthritis.  Does anyone know if RA or Rheumatory Arthritis can effect the CA 125 this much?  I'm very scared and worried for my mom.
1 Comment
CA125 will become elevated if there are other illnesses going on in the body and RA may be the culprit. But I've never known anyone to get so sick from RA - losing appetite, weak and lethargic. There could be something else going on and should be checked thoroughly. Let's hope it's not the cancer coming back. If her doctor continues to be so lax in his attitude, you may consider getting another opinion.