Ovarian Cancer Community
My ovaries could not be seen in a transvaginal ultrasound due to abdomi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My ovaries could not be seen in a transvaginal ultrasound due to abdominal gas.

My Gyn nurse practioner sent me to have an ultrasound, with a transvaginal if needed, after I went to her complaining of bloating, unexplained weight gain and unexplained constipation. The results came back inconclusive. My nurse practioner said they COULD NOT SEE MY OVARIES due to what the radiology report said was abdominal gas, although they did see a small fibroid tumor. She had me get a CA125 blood test done right away. In the meantime, tomorrow I'm going to see a gastroentinologist to rule out intestinal problems. I have a history of having two orange sized cysts on each ovary in the past, which were confirmed as non-cancerous in a laproscopy about 8 years ago. Both my mother and my paternal grandmother had breast cancer. Should I be worried?
Carful now worried.  Worry is energy consuming.  Breast and ovca are related, so first degree relative involvment says you need to be viligant.  Have you or your mother or grandmother had the brca1 or brca2 done?
Thanks for your response. My grandmother died in her 50s from breast cancer in 1975. My mother was diagnosed 15 years ago and survived but is  now in ill-health following a stroke, so I doubt she'll remember if she had such a test. I am almost 45. Have you or anyone else heard of the ovaries not being visible on a transvaginal ultrasound?
My ovary was not visisble on the transvaginal or regular pelvic ultrasound and they poked around for awhile even called in the doctor to see if he could find it, they said I had too much bowel in the way. After a MRI they decided it was most likely dermoid and come to find out after surgery it was a grapefruit size dermoid...how they can miss that I don't know. but I guess the dermoid disguised my ovary as another type of tissue...

You said breast and ovc are related.  My mother had breast cancer about 15 years ago and survived.  Does this increase my risk for both breast and ovc and about how much?
Yes your risk increases to 70% (I just read this today) make sure you have a baseline mammogram esp. by age 40, do monthly (after your period has started) breat self exams and a yearly exam with a PAP and pelvic in the office with a midwife, nurse practitoner or physician.
What the BRCA test?  If I wanted that test would I request it of my GP or GYN?  I have been getting mammograms now for I guess about 5 or 6 years.  I am 38 and my mom's breast was detected at age 50.  My GP recommended that I start going.  Had a little scare about a year or so ago.  After the annual mammogram they said they saw something and had me reschedule for a 6 month follow-up.  I was freaking out thinking 6 months are way too long.  Come to find out that it actually had something to do with insurance coverage.  As it is, my annuals must be at least one year apart unless it is a diagnostic.  Yall know I was freaking out but the follow up was fine.