Ovarian Cancer Community
Need advice for wife's ovarian cyst surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hello. Currently my Japanese wife and I live in Japan but I travel back to the US often.

Just recently we discovered my wife has an 8cm chocolate cyst. The Japanese doctors say there is a high possibility that it is malignant, so they want to plan a surgery to take it out. However, they say that laparoscopic surgery is impossible due to the size. They plan to cut an incision from her genitals up to her belly button. Then, if they find out the cyst was malignant and the cancer spread to her uterus, they will take that out in a second surgery.

Something doesn't sound right to me about their story, and I don't understand why they can't figure out more from doing a biopsy.

I've heard stories of 10cm cysts being removed through belly button procedures. Maybe this is only done in America? I would prefer them not cutting up my wife as much as possible, even though I understand the cyst must be removed as quickly as possible.For a cyst of this size that has a high possibility of being malignant, what sort of procedures are being commonly used today? Do you think it would be just safer for us to return to the US for a while and have the procedure done there? The cyst is painless as of now.

All help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I had a 10cm cyst on my left ovary and was able to have it removed laparoscopically along with my ovary and tube. BUT mine turned out to be a simple cyst that they could drain and remove. I don't think a chocolate cyst can be removed that way. In my case, they weren't sure what was going on and they made it very clear if they got in there with the scope and things looked suspicious, they would open me up right then and there and do what ever had to be done to clear things out. And yes, there was an oncologist on hand during the surgery. At least I knew of the possibilities.

Laparoscopic surgery is wonderful when they can do it but when they have doubts as your wife's doctor has, it's better to be safe. Ovarian cancer is not to be ignored. I hope all goes well with her and they find no sign of cancer. Only a small percentage of cysts turn out to be malignant. But don't take any chances.
With me I had no option but the big incision up the middle. My Doctor was known for small incisions and the DaVinci surgery. He said it was not possible in my case. They did not want to chance having the tumors leak. If you come back to the U.S. chances are they may do the large incision. If it could be cancer you do not want to wait too long.

Alex