Neoplasm~What does it mean?
Good morning ladies!

Neoplasm, what does it mean? I have heard so many different things. My Doc. says it means new growth, that could be cancerous or not. Is that right? On my CT and US it said that ovarian neoplasm cannot me ruled out.
Just keep in mind 99% of all ovarian cysts, masses, tumors are benign. There are alot of women on this forum that have had there scans read that way too and their's were benign. They should be around soon.

Paula
Neoplasm is definitely new growth. I had the same thing written on my report and I had a benign cystadenoma. Some docs (uninformed) tell you it could mean cancer but in this case, with the ovaries, tubes, uterus, neoplasm most likely means benign. Follow-through is key.

L.
Yes, neoplasm means just that... new (neo) growth (plasm.)

There are a great number of things that can grow on/in/over/around the ovaries.   Often, the term neoplasm is used when the radiologist cannot differentiate whether the mass seen is simply a cyst or something actually growing on or from the ovary itself.   Most commonly, the report will state that a "neoplasm cannot be ruled out," as a way of the radiologist covering his or her, er, "rear" should something bad be found at surgery.