Ovarian Cancer Community
Nephrostomy tubes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Nephrostomy tubes

I have bilateral nephrostomy tubes which I will have for the rest of my life. Every week I change the bags and every time I empy the bag I clean the valve with an alcohol wipe. Still, I sometimes notice a urine smell. I don't know what to do about this. If anyone out there has an answer for this or has any other information I would really appreciate your response. Thank you so much!
Avatar dr f tn
It is not uncommon for a small amount of urine to leak around the nephrostomy tube and sometimes there may also be a small scab or crusting around the tube. However, if there is large urine leakage and if there is no urine draining through the nephrostomy tube, it is important that you check with your doctor to rule out blockage. Hope this helps. Take care and regards.
A related discussion, Nephrostomy was started.