Ovarian Cancer Community
No ovaries seen on ultrasound, can be possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi girls!!

I just came from the gyn office.. I had a PAP, he did a pelvic exam, I told him my symptoms and performed a pelvic ultrasound in the office... he said he couldnt find the ovaries... so he oredered a pelvic and abdominal CTSCAN.  I got so surprised because I don't know if it can be possible that they couldnt find the ovaries on an ultrasound test. I came out of that office with the same doubts and questions as when I entered> I cannot have the CTSCAN until next week because I don't have enough money for that test right now. He also oredered FSH and estradiol test and gave me a prescription of some cream  lotrisone and something else he prescribed terazol,  i also cannot buy that cream until next week. But he didnt tell me what are they for and I forgot to asked him. I will looked on Internet.

When my husband came from work asked me what the doctor ordered or told me. I told him and he got worried and called the doctor back.  The doctor told him that he ordered the CTSCAN because he didnt saw the ovaries and if I have something it could be relected on the CTSCAN... Please, can someone tell me about that? If it is possible not to see the ovaries on an ultrasound and if they get revealed on a CTSCAN? I am really confused, I dont know if it was worth having that ultrasound in the office by the doctor... Well, I hope I could calm down and wait until next week. Sorry to bother you all, but if I dont say it, I think I will have a break down.
hi there

I have read that sometimes the ovaries can't be seen on a pelvic ultrasound if they are behind the uterus.  A transvaginal ultrasound may have done a better job in locating them.
I had an ultrasound in 2003 and the left ovary wasn't visible.  The ultrasound I had last month showed the left ovary but now the right wasn't visisble because of a "mass" shadowing it.  This "mass" was determined to be a fibroid in 2003 and is actually smaller now than then but now that doctor is sounding alarms and wants to investigate further.  So, yes, sometimes the ovaries do not show up on ultrasounds.

Thanks a lot girls!! Well, I am going to have that pelvic and abdominal ctscan.  The wait is making me feel real sad because I still have that pain , now it is on the left ovary too and in the low back.  And today I have been feeling that burning sensation in more than one part of the body, including stomach like reflux. I have not had bowel movement today...but yesterday I had diahrrea.  Righ now I am here having a chamomille tea before going to bed, to see if I can relax because this rare symptoms are bothering too much and I am so confused.   Hope everything goes okay to everyone... I am glad to found this site and to get advised from all of you...thanks.