Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Non-uniform Ovarian Texture?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Non-uniform Ovarian Texture?

I posted this in the patient to patient forum as well, I hope that is not breaking any rules.

When I had my pap this year they sent me for an ultrasound which showed benign cysts on my right ovary and a complex cyst on the left and also a fibroid which they had found last year. They had me go for a follow up US six weeks later which shows 2 cysts on the right ovary and the left ovary no cyst but they say it is nonuniform texture but they don't think it's anything to be worried about so they want me to go in 2 months for yet another US.

My mother died of cancer many years ago and to my knowledge it did start as ovarian so I am somewhat paranoid.

In your opinions, do you think waiting 2 months for a follow up is the way to go?

Also, my pap showed something abnormal so I also have to have a follow up pap on Nov. 22.

I have searched non-uniform texture on ovaries but can't find any information about what might cause this.

Thanks for any information you may have.
Hi There,
the pelvic ultrasound sounds like benign cysts or functional cysts. I think it is reasonable to repeat in two months.
If you have a strong family history of ovarian cancer, you should ask your doctor about genetic testing for BRCA 1 and 2 gene mutations. For women with these mutations, the prophylactic removal of the ovaries after completion of child bearing is recommended.

best wishes.
Thanks for replying to me, I appreciate your time.