Ovarian Cancer Community
Normal ca125

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Normal ca125

Hi, I am am very concerned because yesterday I was diagnosed, via vaginal ultrasound, with a hyperechoic area in my right ovary measuring 3.8 x 3.6 x 3.3 cm. My doctor tested my blood for the following tumor makers: AFP, Beta hCG and CA125. The nurse called me today and said that all of the blood values were within the normal range and that the doctor will talk to me soon. How good are these test at diagnosing cancer? What freaks me out the most is that the mass is present, the nurse acted like I should be so happy about the blood work but I still have a golf ball size mass in my ovary.  What is the general prognosis/diagnosis for my situation?
1 Comment
There are no tests to diagnosis ovarian cancer.  NONE...the blood tests are markers and often used for treating re-curring disease and not for diagnostic tools.  

Most cysts are benign...over 90 percent.  and to be honest, your cyst is still considered small.  Most doctors will not even think of surgery until they measure about 6cms.

Ovarian cancer is a very rare disease.  Best of luck to you.