Ovarian Cancer Community
Ok ladies, another nagging question. Free Pelvic Fluid what the heck is...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ok ladies, another nagging question. Free Pelvic Fluid what the heck is that?

Can anyone tell what is free pelvic fluid? And is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for any Info.. that you can tell me. I just keeping thinking and wondering about what I have been told. Not knowing what it means is the worst!!!!
I don't have all the answers, but I do know that I have been told and read that free fluid in the cul de sac means you have cysts that are bursting that leaves the fluid.  I have it too and was told it is pretty normal.  I had it on 4 ultrasounds over the last 5 years and also had some when my laparoscopy was done last  week.  My docs act like it is nothing.  Good luck
There is a small amount of fluid that naturally occurs in the abdomen.   It is called "free fluid" because it is not contained in an organ nor is it contained in a cyst or mass. Its purpose, basically, is to lubricate the organs and tissues that rub and move against each other during the body's normal range of activities.   I believe I have read that no more than 9 or 10 ml of fluid is normal.

However, there can be more fluid, and there are a number of causes of excess free fluid.   <By the way, excess fluid is most commonly referred to as ascites.>  Liver disease is one cause, and is probably the most common cause of excess fluid in the abdomen.  Ovarian cancer is another cause, BUT simply having a  benign cyst or  cysts that have ruptured and spilled their contents can cause excess fluid.

So, if you doctor is not concerned, then  you most likely have a small amount of free fluid, and no other signs that would give the doctor the idea that you have any serious conditions.