Ovarian Cancer Community
Omentum Implans
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Omentum Implans

My mother had a cat scan that uncovered several omentum implants in her abdomen.  She then had a CA 125 test and the results were high.  We went to the OBGYN today and her ovaries were normal.  Could this still be ovarian cancer?  We do not have a diagnosis yet, but the initial thought is ovarian cancer.  How can she have ovarian cancers with her ovaries seeming normal?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
There is a condition called primary peritoneal carcinoma that behaves like ovarian cancer, yet it is in the peritoneum and not on the ovaries.  The ovaries can appear normal and yet you still have it.   Here are a couple of links that provides some good information:

http://www.cancernetwork.com/ovarian-cancer/content/article/10165/95618?verify=0

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/281107-overview

It is more rare than ovarian cancer and her treatment would be basically the same as an ovarian cancer patient.  The other possibility is cancer from another organ.   I am sorry to hear about your mom and hope this is somehow a fluke and a benign condition.  But, it does sound suspicious.  Is she being treated by a gynecologic oncologist?  They have specialized training in dealing with gyn cancers and your mom's overall prognosis will be better if her surgery is performed by a gyn/onc.

Hang in there!

Shelly
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank