Ovarian Cancer Community
Omentum biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Omentum biopsy

I was recently diagnosted with ovarian cancer. The result of the post-operatory pathological analysis determined that my ovaries had serous adenocarcinoma moderately differentiated with surface involvment. My oncologist told me that it would be Stage I grade 2,
but the biopsy of the omentum ( not removed) shows ,I quote from the report:
" Atypical focus, suspicious for ademnocarcinoma [ -1 to -8 sections]. The cut of surfaces show no identifiable lesions.
Microscopic: The omentum sections show a single focus of atypical cells in 3-1, but further such foci are not identified after multiple additional sections."
Based on that, my oncologist inclines to consider my cancer as Stage III, involving not only chemo but an omentum surgery after as 3 chemo sessions.
Previousely one of the most remarkable gyno-oncologist told that I do not need any further surgery.
Can somebody help me with the understanding of the pathological result of the omentum biopsy?
I have a reproductive oncologist doing the surgery and everyone says he's the best in Austin, Texas where I live.  Again, do you think this mass could REALLY be just endometriosis?  How could that be possible?
If I'm reading that right, it sounds like a minute amount of microscopic cells were found in a small section of your omentum. You should talk with your doctor to confirm this. Women who present with later stage disease usally have the omentum removed along with everything else. As far as chemo goes, when I recurred following a 2-1/2 year remission, my doctor was able to remove the tumor (it was in my liver) in its entirety and nothing else was found. He wanted me to have chemo since cells were found in the blood vessels of the tumor. I did not want that chemo but after many hours of debate, I decided better safe than sorry. I am now 20 months out of that surgery with a CA of 2 and NED. I always like to error on the side of caution where ovarian cancer is concerned because it is a sneaky, nasty, persistent disease. Good luck to you.
Thank you so much your help. To understand better my situation, I am on menopause for as 5 years and I am feeling very well.
In fact, I ASKED in summer 2003 to have a preventive CA 125 and ultrasound checkups, with no specific reason (no pain, bleeding, bloating