Ovarian Cancer Community
Omentum removal and recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Omentum removal and recovery

I had a partial omentectomy.  Now recovery seems different.  I am experiencing like a nervy sensation in my abdomen.  Is this normal?  It is an unusual sensation that I am finding hard to describe. I had bladder surgery as well.  Is this connected?  Also I have had a catheter in for two weeks and during that time we have been experiencing unusually hot weather.  Now I have thrush and cystitis.  Have spoken to the local pharmacist and am self treating.  Is this normal?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Ursula
I have had 5 abdmonial surgeries and recovered quite well from all of them except for my last one which was the Ovarian Cancer Staging and Intraperitoneal Hyperthermic Chemotherapy. I was unable to walk upright for four weeks because of a nervy sensation that never seemed to go away.  It finally did, however at about 4 weeks.  I know at my post-op appointment my doctor told me I must have a low threshold of pain. I truly believe this was because of the nervy sensation in just the right place that made it difficult to walk.  

I think the removal of the omentum because they have to cut all the way across instead of just snipping off falopian tubes or ovaries (not that large of an area being cut, as the omentum, I mean) was the most painful for me.  I am still sore in my abdomen after 10 months.

In April I had an elective surgery in which I had a nervy sensation for about a month as well. That has since gone away. Just the healing process, I believe.

Hope this helps and I hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,
Danielle
God Bless you both, you've been through so much.  I can say that I haven't been through as much, but had a c-section where I really recovered fast, and now this laparotomy where I've described that "nervy sensation" to my husband, for me it is a burning, stabbing pain, and a nerve pain in my pelvis, very hard to explain.  I thought maybe it was the wound infection, but I'm really having a hard time mending.  Maybe it is age, or that it is a second abdominal surgery.
I can imagine having the omentum removed, has to add a lot of pain to recovery.  Mine was only biopsied.  But my ovary, tube and appendix was removed.  
So who knows, I just do think that you will fully recover from this odd sensation, I believe I will too.
Good luck, and I hope you feel better from this surgery soon.
Hi again,

Just wanted to let you know that the nervy pain I had went away after a month or so.  I think my current pain is because I had my omentum totally removed and they have to cut that all the way across the top to remove it. I think your nervy pain will go away much quicker, I'm not a doctor, but both times I had it it went away in about a months time.I would be surprised if you had your nervy pain much longer than that.  Maybe occassional twitches every now and then after it is gone.

Sincerely,
Danielle DeMaso

Yes it seems that any messing with the omentum causes the sensation and I suppose the more removed the more nervy it becomes.

Walking is different this time - I'm walking a bit like John Wayne - very attractive.

I know 10 months is a long time but it is good to know that it eventually disappears that is reassuring.

My self treatments have worked thank goodnes and bladder control is coming along nicely.

Thanks for your responses.
A related discussion, omentum removal side effects was started.