Ovarian Cancer Community
Omentum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Omentum

My mother was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer five years ago. She just got her latest results from her CAT scan and there is a tumor on her omentum. This is the first I've heard of the omentum. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks
I believe the omentum is the lining of the pelvic wall or abdominal wall. I know that I had an omentumectomy (spelling?)when I had my surgery for ovarian cancer. They usually remove a layer to check for cancer cells spread and to prevent further spread. What was removed 5 years ago? If she had a layer of the omentum removed, then the cancer just grew there? Maybe someone else with more information will come along on this board. I'd be very interested as I thought once this ;ayer is removed the cancer could not come back here (more to worry about). My cancer was staged at 2B grade 2 cells -do you know what was your mom's stage? My prayers will be with you all. This cancer is so scary.
Your mother must have been diagnosed at an early stage to be here 5 more years.  My mother-in-law was diagnosed 4 years ago in stage IV.  When she was diagnosed her oncologist pretty much sent her to surgery right away. When they opened her up, her entire omentum was nothing but tumor.  The omentum is the lining of the abdominal cavity. They removed all of the omentum, her appendix, her spleen, and part of her liver. The cancer was pretty much everywhere. She has had 50 chemo treatments since. She's had some pretty big complications and roadblocks along the way. She's had an intestinal blockage and the reoccurrence of the cancer. She is now beginning her 4th year and she is now having liver complications. She is in the hospital again and will be having a shunt placed in her liver to allow her liver to function again. It has been a very difficult journey and I am amazed that she has found the strength to carry on. This cancer is horrible. I pray that your mother will continue to move ahead with minimal complications.  Good luck!
The omentum is a sheet of fat that is covered by peritoneum. The greater omentum is attached to the bottom edge of the stomach, and hangs down in front of the intestines. Its other edge is attached to the transverse colon. The lesser omentum is attached to the top edge of the stomach, and extends to the undersurface of the liver.

The peritoneum is the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity and covers most of the abdominal organs.