Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Originally diagnosed with ovarian cysts

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Originally diagnosed with ovarian cysts

Hello Dr.
Here are my concerns, my wife was diagnosed with having an ovarian cyst about 18 months ago. She recieved a birth control shot and the pain went away. She went back to the doctor last month with pain again as well as vaginal bleeding (like she was always on her period), lower back pain, pain during intercourse and a feeling of constantly needing to urinate. The doctor did an ultrasound and saw not only one mass on her ovary (the size of a golfball) but she also saw one on her uterus as well. They also did a pap-smear and found cancerous cells in small numbers. The doctor has scheduled her an appt with a specialist and he is going to do another ultrsound (probably transvaginal). My question is, will  cysts spread? If they don't, are there any other tests they can perform (aside from surgery and a biopsy) to determine if she has cancer? She wants to keep the unaffected ovary so she doesn't have to take any type of estrogen therapy, is that a good idea?
I understand your questions but I do not have enough information to give you the best answer.
if you can get a copy of the pap smear and the actual reports of the ultrasounds and write back with the specifics, I can comment better.

In general pap smear findings relate to the cervix and do not give information about ovarian cysts. Ovarian cysts that are large and are causing discomfort should be removed. It is not possible to make a cancer diagnosis on an ovarian cyst until it is removed.
I look forward to hearing more form you
best wishes
Can ovarian cysts spread to the uterus or other organs?
Hi There benign ovarian cysts will not spread . A condition called endometriosis can cause cysts in many locations including the uterus, the appendix, the lining of the abdomen. Cancer, of course by definition, can spread. The only way to know what kind of cyst it is - if someone has a persistent or growing cyst is to perform a surgery called a laparoscopy and look inside
best wishes