Ovarian / Liver cancer
My sister has had a hysterectomy after diagnosis of ovarian cyst. The cyst was cancerous but appeared contained. After a low chemo regime a cancer was found on her liver. This has been removed and a high chemo regime is planned. Is there any new treatments you have heard of apart from chemo?
Kor
I have passed on the my sisters doctor re the testing of the cells to get a better chemo combination. Is this a common/routine test done after surgery? It is clear the chemo used after the ovarian surgery and before the liver surgery was not effective on that type of cell? She had a PET scan and this showed the liver cancer. I have read a lot on the net and know the prognosis is not good. Any comments / advice from anyone?
Is the cancer in your sisters liver a  separate cancer or mets from the ovarian cancer? I also have cancer in my liver which came from the ovarian cancer. Chemo is used to shrink the tumors as small as possible, then there are procedures to get rid of them such as Radiofrequency Ablation.
I had a tumor sitting on my liver and in my diaphram.  The way my Gyn/Onc explained it to me, was that it was there at the orginal debulking but not active.  If it is not active chemo will not kill the cells.  The cells have to be active to be affected by chemo also the drugs we receive affect direct parts of the activity cycle of the cell.  Because ovarian cancer cells travel and lie quietly is why this disease is so stinking.  I had my new tumors removed and just completed a 2nd cycle of chemo and am clear.  Good luck to you sister.
Thanks for your advice crecco and rmarie. Don't have details of cancer, waiting on pathology reports. General consensu is that it is probably a met from the original ovca.
I haven't heard about active / inactive cell before rmarie. It certainly explains why the cancer suddenly shows up again.
Kor