Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian / Liver cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ovarian / Liver cancer

My sister has had a hysterectomy after diagnosis of ovarian cyst. The cyst was cancerous but appeared contained. After a low chemo regime a cancer was found on her liver. This has been removed and a high chemo regime is planned. Is there any new treatments you have heard of apart from chemo?
Kor
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
313397_tn?1201117613
I have passed on the my sisters doctor re the testing of the cells to get a better chemo combination. Is this a common/routine test done after surgery? It is clear the chemo used after the ovarian surgery and before the liver surgery was not effective on that type of cell? She had a PET scan and this showed the liver cancer. I have read a lot on the net and know the prognosis is not good. Any comments / advice from anyone?
Blank
272338_tn?1252284004
Is the cancer in your sisters liver a  separate cancer or mets from the ovarian cancer? I also have cancer in my liver which came from the ovarian cancer. Chemo is used to shrink the tumors as small as possible, then there are procedures to get rid of them such as Radiofrequency Ablation.
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
I had a tumor sitting on my liver and in my diaphram.  The way my Gyn/Onc explained it to me, was that it was there at the orginal debulking but not active.  If it is not active chemo will not kill the cells.  The cells have to be active to be affected by chemo also the drugs we receive affect direct parts of the activity cycle of the cell.  Because ovarian cancer cells travel and lie quietly is why this disease is so stinking.  I had my new tumors removed and just completed a 2nd cycle of chemo and am clear.  Good luck to you sister.
Blank
313397_tn?1201117613
Thanks for your advice crecco and rmarie. Don't have details of cancer, waiting on pathology reports. General consensu is that it is probably a met from the original ovca.
I haven't heard about active / inactive cell before rmarie. It certainly explains why the cancer suddenly shows up again.
Kor
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...