Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cancer & Fibroids

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Cancer & Fibroids

I'm female, 54, caucasian, overweight & post-menopausal. I hadn't seen a Gyn in around 2-3 years. I just went, & through a sonogram & transvaginal sonogram, it was discovered that I have a cyst/tumor on my ovary - 9cm. I also have at least one fibroid tumor that is the size of a 4+ month pregnancy.
   I have been to an Gyn Oncologist & he is about to schedule a complete hysterectomy. I am so scared that it will be ovarian cancer or cancer in the fibroid. Is it common to have ovarian tumors accompany large fibroid tumors? Can a tumor on an ovary ever be a fibroid tumor?...or one that is benign?
   Can you tell me what questions I should be asking the oncologist? He said that one positive thing is that he sees little evidence of ascites. What does that mean. I have been asymptomatic, but I understand that ovarian cancer is usually without major symptoms.
    Thank you so much for your time and expertise.
                  Sammydo
Hi there
Most fibroids are just big benign muscle growths. it is very unusual to have malignant change in a fibroid (less than one percent of all fbroids).
You should ask about what to expect after surgery.
Also ask about the pros and cons of removing your ovaries if this is a benign fibroid

best wishes to you.