Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cancer Chemo & Effect on Kidneys

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Hi Dr Goodman,  In April 2006 I was diagnosed with epilithial OVCA Stage IIIb, serous cell, grade 3, with positive residue on the stomach, and CA 125 prior to surgery was 2500, which normalized after third chemo.  Chemo had comprised of taxol and carboplatin.  I completed chemo in October 2006 with a low number of 7.  My tumor markers are slowly rising and it’s now at 210.  Recent CT scan shows I have bilateral lymphadenopathy which my oncologist explained to me and I understand remotely.  My question is about the kidneys – it says “Scarring of the mid right kidney and to a lesser degree the lower pole of the right kidney is stable.  The left kidney is unremarkable.  There is no evidence of hydronephrosis and no bone lesion is identified.”  Doctor, is there something wrong with my right kidney?  Thank you so much for your time!

Dear BeachGal,

It sounds like the kidney finding on the scan is unrelated to your experience with ovarian cancer. You may have had an injury or an infection to your kidney years ago. Now there is an area of the kidney that has scar. There are scans to check the actual function of the kidney called renal scans. It might be helpful to have that information. sometimes people can have an old injury and have a nonfunctioning kidney without knowing it. The other kidney is doing all the good work and the overall kidney function by blood work looks good. You should ask your doctor about that.

As far as the lymphadenopathy, that means there are some lymph nodes on the right and left side (bilateral) that are somewhat enlarged.  That could be from inflammation. It could be from cancer. With the  CA 125 elevated, I do worry it could be related to your cancer. What is your oncologist planning?
best wishes
Hi Dr Goodman, thank you for mentioning about the renal scan.  I'll look into that.  My oncologist is planning chemotherapy for the elevated CA 125, but what's concerning me is the effect it will have on let's say, hypothetically, just one good kidney.  I was planning to take just the stand-alone carboplatin because my hair means a lot to me.  Is carboplatin damaging to the kidneys?  Your comments are most appreciated!