Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Cancer at any stage is CURABLE - The Recurrence Forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Here's a post of a Stage 4 - Ovarian Cancer that had spread to the liver.

"...Just wanted to share some good news here with you all. Two days ago at my oncologist follow up app. I was told after over 10 years even being a stage 4 when dx. - he said I no longer needed to be seen as he considered me cured. I have had no recurrence and during a visit to the ER a few months ago for diverticulitus I had a cat scan and my liver had only a little scar tissue. This is all good and you are cured, he said.
Of course I will see the gyn for for yearly checks and have mamograms yearly as well. The doctor said just to listen to your body and ... keep healthy.... I feel as though I lost a dear friend. The doctor who told me just over 10 years ago that I would not be around but for a few months or maybe just a year is telling me now that I am cured????... I will take it and am very thankful. You can come through this well my friend. I shall be around to give others support in any way I can. Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to share this. Be well all, Jan."
      Just a thought for the coming New Year.
Thanks Jatoo:

The way I feel today I can really use some news like that you shared.  The Doxil is really taking it's toll.  I can't seem to get any relief.  Will see doctor tomorrow to see what I do next.

Have a great year.

plady
Thank you for sharing such encouraging news!  We all need to remember that each of us are individuals and no doctor can predict the number of our days.  It's wonderful to know that a stage IV patient can say 10 years later that they are cured.  Congratulations!
Hi Jatoo... thanks for that, and it's very interesting. I don't know if I would be brave enough to leave it for a year before going for another check though.....maybe three months. :-)
My Oncol. introduced me to one of his patients recently who was also Stage 4......16 years ago, and still going strong. This lady looked really well, and didn't do anything other than eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. I asked her about extra vitamins/supplements, but she said she relies just on healthy food... doesn't smoke, and is a very light drinker of wine.
Maybe it's in the genes... whose knows?
Anyhow, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and feeling rejuvinated to fight the beast harder in the New Year....Helmar...
Hi Jatoo, this excerpt is very interesting.  I wonder if she was going through the same regime as the rest of us....
Hi Jatoo
Thank you for sharing.  I needed to have some positive news.  I was diagnosed in June 2004 and have undergone treatment: Taxel/Carbo Aug 2004 - Feb. 2005.  Recurrence Sept. 2005 started trial Caelyx/Carbo Sept. 2005 - June 2006.  Recurrence Sept. 2006.  Started Gemcitabine Oct. 2006 - Nov. 2006.  CT scan showed progression of widespread peritonel carcinomatosis with what appears to be secondary involvement of the liver. I was taken off the Gem.  My oncologist has given information on 3 chemos still available to me.  Topotecan, Etoposide, Vinorelbine.  As of Dec. 22nd my CA125 was 3858.  Could you please tell me what treatments you have had over the years. Have you changed your diet?  I would appreciate any info you could share with me.  I see my oncologist again on Jan. 2/07

Thankyou.
Dear WeeGee,
I hope you have figured out which medication to choose. My Mother's case is somehow similar to yours. She is taking Caelyx (Doxil) now. She's taken one cycle of Caelyx and her CA-125 has tripled unfortunately. So we are just waiting to see if it will kick in for the second cycle, which is tomorrow. Don't lose hope.
All the best,
Nayiri