Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Cancer

If my CA-125 test level reads 135, is there a likelihood that I have ovarian cancer.  I have a 10cm cyst that has not changed size since the first ultrasound. I also have an enlarged uterus and multiple fiberoids, could this have influenced the CA-125 levels?  I am 55 years old and have had 2 children and breast fed both?  
Hi There
CA 125 measures a protein in the blood stream that comes from tissues in the abdomen and the lining of the abdomen and lungs.

This blood test was developed to follow women with a known diagnosis of ovarian cancer to see how they were responding to treatment. That is because for women with a known diagnosis of ovarian cancer, their cancers can produce higher levels of this CA 125 protein . For them the CA 125 level can directly correlate with growth of the cancer

However this protein is also present in fibroids and normal gyn tissues.

For you, the elevation could be from the fibroid or it could be related to the ovarian cyst.
The only certain way to diagnose cancer is to remove the ovarian cyst surgically and analyze it microscopically.

You should have a conversation with your gynecologist about whether surgical removal would be reasonable.
best wishes
Could there be something in our food chain or our water source that is causing these cysts?  Such as steroid fed beef, chicken,fruits and vegetable?  If so , for our daughters sakes we all better try to be buying up lil' family farms and get back to the basics,no?
Thank you very much for your reply.  I gives me hope and I am awaiting an endometrial
biopsy to check for cancer.
Charmaine