Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Cancer?

I am a 28 yo female.  Palpable 7 x 7 x 6 mass to left ovary.  CA-125 495, all other labs weren't discussed with me as this is recent.  I did an Ultrasound and doctor wanted to do a hysterectomy as my tubes are tied and my cycles were so debilitating.  After CA-125 results came back I am being referred to a GYN-ONC.  I do have palpable groin and cervical lymph nodes that were persistent for 2 months that I have noticed.  I have text book symptoms for ovarian cancer, cysts, and endometriosis as they are very similar.  Of all the symptoms, my urinary issues are the worst.  I have hesitancy, frequency increased, and strength of stream that is weak.  After waiting a while to empty my bladder, a throbbing pain to my pelvic region is there once emptied.  What in your practice would be the best scan/diagnostics to perform?  I understand CA-125 is not diagnostic, but I do feel that things are not right in more than one body system.  I am awaiting the visit with the GYN-ONC on Christmas Eve, and I would want it to be as thorough as possible.  I am a nursing student, in preparation for my last semester that starts January 14, I would like to plan wisely.  Thanks, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Hi There,
a referal to a gyn oncologist is very reasonable. Surgery will be the next step.
The decision about what type of surgery will be made at the time of surgery.

For instance,if you have a borderline ovarian tumor which would be the more common type of malignant tumor, a fertility sparing surgery to just remove the ovary could be done.

It is possible you have a benign condition such as endometriosis.

It is possible, although least likely, that you have an invasive cancer of the ovary.
For young women with ovarian cancer, the usual surgery would be a full hysterectomy, removal of the ovaries and removal of any other tumor including lymph nodes. Surgery is followed by chemotherapy that is given over a 6 month period of time.

for young women with ovarian cancer that is confine to one ovary, fertility sparing  surgery (removing just the ovary) followed by chemotherapy can be done.
please let us know how you are doing
take care