Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cyst & A enlarged Ovary

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Cyst & A enlarged Ovary

Hi, I am 22 yrs old. I have two boys. They are 5 and 4. I had the IUD put in after my 2nd child because I didnt want anymore kids for a lil while. And well its been 4 1/2 yrs now...and I have the worst pain on both sides (like both ovaries) And for the 1st week I was thinking well maybe im going through the monthly thing..then the pain got worse. Oh and by the way since the IUD I havent had a period in 4 1/2 yrs (which is really nice) but Then i was looking on the net and found out that the IUD can cause ovarian cyst because ur egg isnt dropping like it should every month. They did not tell me the risk when i got the IUD. I was 18 yrs old and was only thinking about not having any more kids and no period. I thought thats great!! Never thought to ask about any side effects or anything. And they didnt bother to tell me either. So I go to the hospital they tell me to have a ultra sound done. I go two days later and find that I have and 1.2 inch cyst on my left ovary, I'm guessing the one on the right burst. Cuz both sides where hurting then the pain stopped on the right side. But then a few nights later I was having really bad pain and still am on both sides again!
Hi There,
It sounds like you have  a good plan in place. It is good that you have an appointment with an OB gyn.  I actually worry about an infection in the fallopian tubes or uterus from reading your story. It is also possible that the IUD migrated into the muscle wall of the uterus and that is causing pain.  The ultrasound may be able to locate where the IUD is. I definitely do not worry about  cancer based on pain and IUD use at your age.  Most ovarian cysts are related to ovulation. An IUD will not stop ovulation, it just reduces the ability of your uterine lining from holding a pregnancy.

take care

The lady that did the ultra sound didnt say she seen a enlarged ovary, but I found out today that my right is enlarged and the left has the cyst on it! So now im scared and they didnt tell me what could be done about it...they just made me a appointment for a obgyn. I have also been getting this rash that pops up. It looks like i have welps on me..I get that anywhere I scratch. Not sure if it has anything to do with it. I want to know what am i going to have to go through when I see the OBGYN? Will a ovary get to big and burst? Am I going to get really sick? Can this turn into cancer? Can this cause cancer? I never asked questions b4, now I know better. And my doctor isnt telling me much and not helping out with the pain. Its almost like they dont care. I know im pretty young to be having cyst. Could it be the IUD causes the enlarged ovary and cyst on the ovary. I'm scared to think its that..I got prego on birth control. And the IUD has stopped that. I dont want to get prego again. I need to know if I could get the IUD back after all this is going on or is it to risky? I know I asked a lot of questions, and some may seem a lil stupid. But I know nothing about this. I also want to know what will they do about the enlarged ovary? Will I have to have surgery? The only things I know that run in the family is heart attacks...ovary cyst..and ovarian cancer, heart palpitations (which I have had for years, docs dont care about that either) And I have had massive migraines for years! (which I been doing all kinds of test for that recently) (nothing has been found) Someone Please explain to me what is a enlarged ovary..how do u get them...can u prevent them...or how do they get treated...and will this be recurring ?
Omg, I'm going thru the exact same thing right now.  I had an IUD inserted in Oct, never had any health issues before.  Now suddenly I find out my right ovary is 5x its normal size because I have a 'complex' cyst inside of it.  They said I had to have my ovary removed!!  I wanted to have one more child and am devastated.  My doctor did not tell me about this possible side affect, either.  And, I'm getting this weird itchy rash all over my chest, shoulders and stomach, too!  I thought I was going crazy.  Have you found out anything more?  I just found all this out yesterday and am completely confused...
Hi There,
when you see your doctor, be sure to ask for a copy of the ultrasound report for your own records. Also ask the doctor to carefully go over the report and explain whta the words mean adn what the significance of the findings are. I think this will reduce alot of your anxiety and fear.

here is a nice site on the IUD. It really goes through all the issues of IUDs
http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/intrauterine-device-iud-for-birth-control

best wishes
I am a breast cancer survivor and elected to have my ovaries removed due to this as well as concerns with ovarian cancer, since this runs in my family.  I am having a very difficult time now with the loss of my ovaries and was not put on hormones due to the breast cancer.  Is there any time frame when the body settles back down or does it with hormones?  I am 48 years old and am dealing with depression, panic, and am very anxious.  These were brought on after the surgery and within 3 months of surgery.  I was finally given HRT but was told that I cannot say on it for long.  Will the body settle down after the loss of ovaries? I did not want to run the risk of cancer so I made this decision. It might of been too hasty, but I know it's hard to figure out in the middle of dealing with breast cancer. I am not a BRAC 2 though it runs in the family.  Do you know how long I might expect to feel horrible even on HRT?  I do hope the symptoms go away.  Do they in time?  How are other women dealing with the loss.  God bless you each and every one.
A related discussion, Surgical Menopause was started.