Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Cyst Age 49 and Scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Cyst Age 49 and Scared

4 months ago dr detected an ovarian cyst during routine pelvic exam; went for sono and cyst showed up (1.9 cm) and said by dr to be "likely a functional" cyst.  My ovary measured 3.3 x 2.1 x 1.8 cm. No free fluid present in the cul-de-sac (what does that mean?).  Dr wanted the sono repeated in 4 months - went last week.  Now my ovary enlarged 5.7 x 2.5 x 3.1 cm and several cysts present throughout the ovary measuring between 1 & 2 cm.  Additionally a complex cyst found 3.2 x 2.4 x 1.6 cm.  The report says the cyst (I guess meaning the largest one) "may be functional; neoplasm not entirely excluded". I saw my gyno today and he says it should be watched but at this point he is not ready to do surgery. He wants to try BC pills to see if it shrinks, then reevaluate in 3 months and go from there.  He doesn't think this is a cancer but admits we don't know for sure.

I've had a hysterectomy and kept one ovary (about 10 years ago). I'm 49 years old.

Of course I'm going to worry now.  Anyone have any opinions or advice or knowledge you can lend?

Thanks!
I moved this post to the Ovarian Cyst community - I think that's where I should have posted it ??? Can't figure out how to delete this one.
That's fine. If it was a problem, the moderator could delete it. So far it sounds like your doctor is doing all the standard treatment. The BC pills may shrink the cysts. I did that in my teens because I was forming multiple cysts and they hurt. It helped a lot.

In my mid 50's I developed a cyst and I was post menopausal. Ha, I thought I was done with this nonsense. Mine was 10 cm, had surgery to remove it along with the ovary and tube. But it was all fine, no cancer. Over 90% of cysts are not cancer which is good news. But follow up with your doctor as needed and let him monitor it. If it gets too large (over 5 cm) or you're too symptomatic, he'll probably want to remove it all. By then you'll probably be glad to clear it all out.
Thank you so much. I'm so worried. Dr called today and said my estrogen level was high (did blood work yesterday). He said he thought the cyst was producing hormones which led him to believe him (still) that it was a functional cyst.  Of course I went on the Internet and started reading and found that cancerous cysts can also produce hormones!  Contrary to the way I may sound I trust my dr. If I didn't I would go find one who would take it out NOW and I'm not going to do that. Still it's hard not to worry.
I completely understand the worry aspect of it. At least your doctor is aware of something going on and is watching it. Too often women get brushed off saying it's anxiety or bowel problems. I don't know why some doctors just don't think ovaries when they're dealing with women.  LOL  Take care.
So my dr called and said my blood work indicated that my estrogen level was elevated which causes him to believe even more so that my cyst is functional and is producing hormones.  Of course after talking to him I've gone online and  read that some cancerous tumors can produce hormones. I wish I knew how to not worry...
Don't we all. Staying busy helps but what to do at bedtime is another story.