Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cyst on Ultrasound

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Cyst on Ultrasound

I had a hysterectomy in June 2007.  I had an ultrasound done as a follow up to a CT scan done for right sided pelvic and flank pain, which showed a 5.0 x 5.1 cm hypodensity in the right adenexa.  The ultrasound showed a simple cyst on my left ovary and a complex cyst that appeared to hemorrhage within itself on the right ovary.  My questions are is this considered complex just because of the blood, and would this be considered a hemorrhagic cyst and are they complex? Or are these two different features?  Also should this be monitored or will it likely go away on its own?  Do I need to be concerned about this type of cyst?  I still have pain on my right side and I get so bloated every since my hysterectomy. The pain also radiates into my right groin and thigh and is like a burning pain in my hip.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Hi there,
One good thing about having had a recent surgery, is that your surgeon was looking in your abdomen. that is the best physical exam and evaluation one could ever get. You can ask for a copy of your operative note. You can also ask your surgeon what your ovaries looked like at the time of your surgery.  I assume they must have looked normal but it is always good to confirm that.

So you now have cysts that are most likely related to ovulation. Sometimes after a hysterectomy, the ovaries do produce more cysts. This is thought to be due to the reduced blood supply to the ovaries that occurs when the uterus is disconnected from the ovaries. These are all benign situations. the standard is a follow up ultrasound in three months
best wishes
My mother died of ovarian cancer 3 years ago, and Dr. Lucci at the U of Miami is encouraging me to have a bilateral Salpingo Oopherectomy.  Mom's blood was tested for the bracha gene...it was never put through the new full analysis....just the test available back in 2004/2005.  She did NOT test for the genetic component, however Dr. Lucci still feels that I should err on the side of caution and not take any chances.  After seeing mom's rapidly declining response to this type of cancer (peritoneal ovarian) I absolutely do NOT want to ever go through what she did the poor woman.  !!!!!!!!!!!!! However, I also do NOT want to propel myself into other problems which may undoubtedly arise from having to put my body into an early induced menopausal state, whereby needing synthetic hormones to regulate everything since without the ovaries there will be many changes.  I'm against synthetic anything....and I fear putting myself into a situation where perhaps I am creating a problem in trying to avoid one. ??????  my CA125 tests typically come back normal, however my latest was 27, and another several months ago was 42.  I have a 2 inch cyst on my left ovary that appears to be from regular ovulating.  I just think my mother contracted this disease from HRT...the hormones she went on to control all of her effects of menopause.  What do you recommend for my course of action given this info?