Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Mass

Can anyone help me to understand this test results, they are from an transabdominal and trasvaginal pelvic ultrasound.

There is a mass-like area probable reprsenting the left ovary measuring approximately 5.8 x3.4x4.3 cetimeters in dimesion. This complex left adnexal mass has both cystic and solid components. Little if any color flow can be identified wihtin lesion itself. There is flow in the peripheryof the lesion.

Imperession:
There is a complex solid and cystic left adnexal mass messuring approximatley 5.8x3.4x4.3 cetimeters in dimension. No definite flow is noted within this. This could represent an ovarian torison or other hypovascular left adnexal mass.

I have no idea what this means, if any of you can get so kind of idea what this means can you please help me. I am in pain on my left and side and I am not sure what to do.
U are doing very goog taking care of yourself so far.  Please request a ca125 and MRI or CT scan to further explore the mass on the left. Just want u to know that elevated ca125 dosen't mean u have OVCA, but most OVCA patients have high ca125. See a GYN or GYN/oncologist if u haven't now. How old are u? Is there any family history of OVCA or breast cancer?  Just wamt u make sure to get to the bottom to your pain.  Best wish!

Peace

Jun
You need to contact your gyn and have him/her explain the report to you in terms you can understand.  You can google a lot of these terms and get some clarification, but you really need to take control and get your dr to answer your questions so you have a clear understanding of what is going on in your body.  The dr works for you so do not let them blow your concerns off - if he/she doesn't take your concerns seriously, get another doctor.

And if it looks like even a remote possibility of ovarian cancer, go see a gynelogical/oncologist.  They are specifically trained to deal with reproductive cancers and can stage you at the time of surgery if it turns out to be malignant.  I'm not suggesting you may have cancer because I don't know what your report means. I'm just giving you the benefit of my experience - I had multiple cysts on my left ovary, I didn't have a gyn/onc perform my original surgery because he wanted to wait and I didn't as I was in considerable discomfort, and I ended up having to have a second surgery because of malignancy. In hindsight I'd have gotten a second opinion from another gyn/onc first - I didn't realize how serious it could be in the "worst case" scenario because I didn't believe that scenario could happen to me, I've always been so healthy.

Please be your own advocate and don't rest until you get answers that satisfy you, make things clear to you, and set you on the path to resolving this problem.  I wish you all the best and please let us know how things turn out.  ChrisP
I know I had a ultra sound and ca125 test. The ultrasound showed a cyst on my left ovary but my ca125 level was in normal range.  My obgyn is doing laparoscopy surgery this coming thursday to see if the cyst can be drained or does he have to remove it and send it to be tested or will he remove my left ovary. He never did mention how big the cyst was but I know he is concerned because every generation of women in my family has had some type of cancer.  I had a cyst back in 2002 that weighed 1lbs. in my uterus that is when they did a partial hysterectomy.  It is now 6 years later and my ob is concerned also because after that typed of hysterectomy a lot of women develop ovarian cancer especially at my age (45).  Positive attitude, ask lots of questions and be comfortable with your doctor.  If you follow these 3 steps you will understand what is going on and make the right decision.  I have been with my ob for 20years and he is great.    
this is a complex cyst which means it has walls or compartments containing both solid and fluid components. These type of cysts can cause suspicion and so are removed when they reach 5cm and over . There is no way to tell if these cysts are malignant or benign until they are biopsied, but in saying that most cysts are benign approx 95% so the chances of malignancy are very low .
    Take care Angie
Hi Jacey.  The results of your scan sound almost exactly what mine did last October.  I had a 15cm tumor removed along with my ovaries (had had a hyst in 2003)- the tumor was a Granulosa cell tumor of the ovary.  This is a rare form of ovca- I went through the staging procedure and was found to be in stage 1A with the tumor contained.  
My local gyne told me that he would do the surgery had I wanted him to but he preferred I went to a gyne onc.  I did at his advice and it saved me a second surgery.  I would def get a second opinion and would have a gyne onc perform the surgery for sure.  Good luck and dont wait-

maxadog
Hey Jacey,

If there is one thing I have learned on this forum it is this.... you only get one shot at getting this taken care of and doing it right... Don't wait, and get a second opinion from a GYN/ONC.... Not trying to scare you but rather gently shove you in the right direction...
Take Care

Laney