Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Nodule

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian Nodule

I am 49 years old.  No prior health problems. One child. One pregnacy.  I have had Mittleschmertz(spelling) on the right side since I started my periods at 16.  Recently this pain has become worse, pain starting 3 days before ovulation and lasting three days after. Pain so severe I cannot put pressure on my leg.  So, at my last Gyno appointment 10/17/06 I mentioned this to hime and he sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound.  This shows a 1cm nodule on the right ovary.  He wants to repeat the ultrasound 6-8 weeks.
Is this the normal course of action?  Should I insist on a CA-125
I am really scared about this.  
Thanks so much for your time.
Hi There,
It is possible that you had some bleeding from an ovarian cyst that gave you pain. It is also possible that your pain is unrelated to your ovary (your appendix is on the right side and an inflamed appendix may cause pain down your leg.) It is hard to know what the significance of a 1 cm nodule in an ovary is. I agree with your doctor. A follow up ultrasound is the most sensible course unless you are continuing to have pain. In the presence of persistent pain, a laparoscopy May be more appropriate.

A CA 125 test may add information if it is abnormal. (greater than 35) It can be elevated in inflammation, endometriosis, fibroids, menses, and malignant conditions. It is not a screening test for an ovarian malignancy.

best wishes to you