Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Volume Levels??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Volume Levels??

Hello!  I just picked up my u/s pics to take to 2nd opinion appt for Wed.  Does anyone know what normal Ovarian Volume values are?  The only thing I can find mentioned is values for PCOS.  On one pic, volume is noted at 30.11ml and on another it's noted at 19.40ml.  Could it be measuring different things in the ovary?  I still have to get copies of the reports, doing that today, to take with me.  
I know that most cysts are benign, but my symptoms are getting worse which of course makes me worry more!  I can hardly eat anything anymore, haven't lost any weight, and my pants and even my panties :) are getting tighter.  
I really try not to let the kids see how frustrated/scared I am, but it's getting hard.  The oldest knows what runs in our family and remembers her aunt dying.  
Thanks for listening - I better get busy doing something!
Hi Red,

I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you what I've found. Ovaries can vary tremendously in volume and size. Premenopausal women have larger ovaries than postmenopausal.
I did some research on volume when I received my ultrasound report, because one ovary had a higher volume than the other. Are the volumes you are giving from the save ovary, different tests? Or are they volumes from the left and right ovary? Are you premenopausal or postmenopausal? I am premenopausal and can tell you that the volume of my left ovary is 7.39ml and the volume of my right ovary is 17.26. What I discovered in my reading is that although ovaries vary tremendously, the rule of thumb is that one ovary should not be more than twice as big as the other ovary. If it is more than twice as big, further testing is sometimes done. Many times they are enlarged because of simple cysts or other types that are growing inside of them. Ovaries can expand a great deal to accomodate growths. Do you have known cysts or tumors on your ovary? What does the rest of your report say? Hang in there, alot of us on here are playing the old waiting game. It's extremely frustrating, but we're here for you!
Robin
The measurements are from the right ovary, both on the same date.  One was from abdominal the other was from vaginal.  I do have either a complex cyst or 2 adjacent cysts.  Another question I have, when they quote the measurements of the ovary or the cysts - don't they usually use all the measurements taken from one way.  For example, my report uses 2 measurements from adbdominal and one from vaginal for one size and for the cysts it does the reverse.  If I look at previous ultrasound and report, it uses only the measurements from vaginal - they're not mixed together.  Thank you both for your responses!
Oops!  Forgot to mention - don't have my other ovary!  :)  Had it removed almost 2 yrs ago due to benign fibroma.  My brain is not functioning!  Sonogram done in December was done on an older machine and states that the measurements were acquired endovaginally.  Sonogram done in January states that it was performed both transabdominally and transvaginally.  This machine was newer and has better pictures.  I have compared sizes mentioned on both reports to measurements on films.  The December report correlates with measurements on the film - all measurements stated were from transvaginal images.  The January report mixes the numbers together.  I plan on asking doc tomorrow about this.  I don't remember this being the case, the numbers being mixed, either the other year when I had u/s for left ovary.  I do have my list all put together of questions & things that have bothering me.  Thank you for all your input!  I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.  Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight, maybe even eat something without it bothering me too much!
Hi Red,

I'm not sure why they do that, maybe XRAY2U will jump in here and help us out. I believe vaginal ultrasounds are more accurate simply because they get closer to the ovary and can also differentiate between different types of cysts, etc., more easily than abdominal. They can also visualize smaller cysts that might be missed on the abdominal ultrasound.
It could be that one measurement is for your cyst, and the other is for your ovary. Does it ever mention the size of your OTHER ovary? Or does it ever mention the exact size of your cyst(s)? I just looked at my report again and they only use one report, but it doesn't say which ultrasound it was from (I also had an abdominal and vaginal one on the same day). I would assume mine is from the vaginal. If they give the ovary dimensions, I know you can calculate the volume from that to see if it matches the report. Ovarian volume is equal to  =length of ovary  x width of ovary x height of ovary x .523
Sure hope this helps. Hang in there! Oh, I also did see that polycystic ovaries can get quite large, up to 6ml  more than the average ovary. Maybe you have this and it has been undiagnosed. Please let me know how it goes at your appointment, are you writing questions down to ask him/her? I'll be anxious to find out what they say - hang in there, soon we'll have answers!  It can make you crazy waiting, though, huh? Robin
Well, they're right, the volume does increase if your ovary is enlarged....On my first u/s my normal left ovary was approx. 3cm and my enlarged right ovary (with cyst in it) was 5.7cm, my volume was 48cc(ml). Of course, it's gotta' be moreso now because my cyst and ovary have grown some. But the report doesn't mention the volume this time, just that it has grown.
(((Raynbow
A related discussion, Ovary cyst was started.