Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian abcess(abscess)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ovarian abcess(abscess)

I was hospitalized for 8 days (May 15-23) and still taking antibiotics until now. From my last CT-scan for my ovarian abcess (abscess), the doctor told me that it's been reduce to 5.4 cm on the right & 3.4 cm on the left (I'm not sure what been reduce, I guess it must be my abcess (abscess)). The original size when was 10.3 cm on the right, not sure about the left. My next ultrasound will be on June 28 and my medicine been reduce, I only take antibiotics twice a day instead of four a day. I am taking cypro.

My question is: What exactly I have? A cyst? Or an infection ovarian? Why the doctor so hesitate to do the surgery since they almost perform the surgery on my second day in hospital. Why suddenly they want to clear the abcess (abscess) first and what is the next step?

I am not born here and the whole thing about my health situation is very confusing and scary. Please advise, thank you
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
I have a friend who developed an abcess (abscess) on his liver.  He had the same things done to him - first, he was hospitalized the doctor considered surgery then, but  the doctor decided instead  to send him home for weeks with a prescription for antibiotics to reduce the infection.  When the infection was reduced, the doctor then performed sugery to remove the remaining infection (clean the area) and allow the abcess (abscess) to heal better.  I suspect the doctors hesitate to operate on some abcesses because of concerns of spreading the infected material throughout the abdomen.  

You can always call the doctor's office and ask for a nurse to better explain your condition and treatment, or you can seek a second opinion on your condition if you feel uneasy with the care that you are receiving.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank