Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian cancer without ovaries?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian cancer without ovaries?

My Mother died of ovarian cancer.  I have had a complete hysterectomy several years ago removing my ovaries.  My question is: can I still get ovarian cancer?

Theoretically you can in the form of primary perotonial cancer. Chances are EXTREMELY rare though.
My mother was diagnosed today with ovarian cancer and she had hers removed 31 years ago.  She smokes like a chimney, lung cancer? That wouldn't have been a surprise but OVARIAN cancer?  We are all thrown for a loop.  Won't know anything else until next week.
my dr says no you can not get cancer there if you dont have them
Hello....Just want to relate the following. I have a daughter in her mid 20s... who I am worried about re this cancer, as I have Stage 4. No cancer in either side of my family, so didn't think I would ever get cancer. I asked my Doctors re the chances of my daughter getting ovca if she had her ovaries removed after having children, and they said that there was no guarantee as the cancer can still grow in the tissue of that area. The following was told to me by a lady who had both breasts removed to avoid cancer, but the cancer grew in the tissue of her chest. I guess you would just need to stay alert to any bodily changes, and maybe have scans at various times to stay on top of any possibility that you could inherit this cancer. I wish you all the best,...hugs...Helen...
My sister will find out today via a blood test if she has ovarian cancer. She had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago. What does anyone know about a natural supplement called Zeolite to help cure ovarian cancer?
You CAN NOT FIND out if you have ovarian cancer with a blood test.  Surgical biopsy is the ONLY way.. Zeolite is another scam to seperate  seriously ill patients from their money........... If someone is saying they can tell your sister if she has cancer via a blood test RUN don't walk to another doctor.
vegas2cr is 100% right. Marie
I know how you feel about your daughter.  Mine is 21.  Did you have the testing for the brca gene?  10% of ovarian cancers are hereditary.  I did and both my daughter and I are positive.  We did not have a lot of risk factors either.
Your sister may be talking about having a CA125 test done.  In women that are diagnosed (by surgery) with ovarian cancer often have a high ca125 count so sometimes doctors do this test as a preliminary step.
Keep us updated own how you are doing.  I care.
sorry, I got confused with the post and thought you had been diagnosed.  My error.
The way it was explained to me, the type of cells that make up your ovaries also make up a lining that coats all of your abdominal organs.  So even if you don't have ovaries, the tissue that covers the outsides of your organs can develop cancer and it is called ovarian cancer because it is the same type of cancer (even though it didn't originate in the non-existent ovaries).  With ovaries removed, however, chances of getting ovarian cancer are dramatically reduced.  Hope I got that right.
My Surgeon say yes...you can get cancer in that area of your body, even if you don't have ovaries... that's if it's your lot to get cancer there. Apparently if that's the case, the cancer will grow in the tissue in that area. I was concerned as I have a daughter, and I asked my Surgeon if she had her ovaries removed after having children, would that alleviate the possibility of her contracting cancer there... and he said no. She needs to go for an examination, and have scans here and there to ensure that all is well.
I guess once OvCa is in the family, there is more reason to have regular checks to make sure you are o.k..    Best wishes....hugs..Helen..
Can someone help me answer this, I am 46 had my ovaries removed 6 years ago, I do have my uterus and now they found a large mass and want me to have it and my uterus removed to be tested for cancer. I thought if you dont have your ovaries you dont produce estrogen and masses cant grow? Is that true. I go for surgery next week and Im a nervous cant sleep, hope I doing the right thing.My dr said he wants the mass to come out in one piece to be tested in case its cancer he doesnt want it to spread. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for any advise you give
I had a total hysterectomy about a year and a half ago.  I am starting to have pain in the same area that my ovary was removed.  I spoke to my Dr.'s nurse an she said that I might have a lot of scare tissue build up.  I am so nervous because my mother died from cancer and my aunt had ovarian cancer also, but she has beat the odds so far.  I know I need to go and have this checked out, but I'm afraid of what I might find out.  I need some encourgement.
Sometimes I think that worrying is much harder work than dealing with reality -- whatever it is.  Ovarian cancer is fairly rare, and you probably shouldn't suspect that first.  I understand (but know virtually nothing about) that the ovaries can regenerate.  I think it's called ovarian remnant syndrome, and I get the impression that it's painful.  There are probably a half dozen other possibilities, and I hope you'll go see the doctor and get checked out.  

Welcome to the forum.  Let us know what the doctor says.