Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ovarian cancer

I recently had my ovaries and falopian tubes removed because of a tumour.  This turned out to be cancerous but it was removed intact and CT scans showed that the cancer had not spread.  However, I have been recommended to have 6 cycles of chemotherapy for preventative reasons.  Fine.  However, I have been told that although there are no signs of the cancer I will probably have to have a hysterectomy but I cannot understand why this is necessary.  Does anyone have an answer to this.
2 Comments
Blank
155056_tn?1333642288
What type of doctor did your surgery?

Standard protocol is stage 1C and above they do 6 cycles of chemo.

What was your cancer staged at?

I feel that if there is a possiblity that the chemo will kill any microscopic cell in my body, I would opt for chemo.  

Ovarian cancer is known to recurr and anything you can do to prevent a recurrence is worth checking into.

Blank
Hi.  Thanks for your reply.    The op was carried out by a gynacological surgeon.  The cancer was a stage 1a as it was just contained within one ovary.  It has been put at a grade 3 though because it is a 'clear cell' cancer.  Subsequent CT scans show that it hasn't spread anywhere else which is a relief.  I will be commencing chemo on 5th Aug in order to get rid of any cells that might be floating around looking for a home.  The thing I do not understand is why they want me to have a hysterectomy after the chemo if there no other signs of cancer.

Pat
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank