Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian cyst / Abnormal pap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian cyst / Abnormal pap

I have an ovarian cyst and I will have it removed August 29th. It is fluid filled but large. I was also just told I have an abnormal pap. Could the abnormal pap be due to the cyst?  I've never had an abnormal pap before.

I had several bad paps. The first one was the worst with the dx being Severe cervical dysplasia, but I continued to have three more bad paps...then it cleared. Mine was not caused by the HPV virus. Then, a few years later, a malignant ovarian cyst was found. Now, I asked the same question that you asked. I was told the two were not connected. I can see why one might think there is a connection, but at least this is what I was told. I continue to go in for vaginal paps and for the past six years, after my hysterectome, including the removal of the cervix, there have been no problems.

Mary
Avatar n tn
I had an abnormal PAP too, from what I have read, it seems that stress can cause the immune system to allow latent HPV viruses to become active and cause an abnormal PAP.  Since this has been a very stressful time for me, I think there is some relation between the two, but only because of the stress.